Village of Whitesboro, NY

Heraldry in the United States
JMcMillan

Re: Village of Whitesboro, NY

Postby JMcMillan » 13 Jan 2016, 15:27

Personally, I'd be deliriously happy if the use of the word "seal" were confined not only to Arthur's 1st and 2nd definitions but to all three.

The practice in the US of using seal designs in lieu of coats of arms/badges has caused not only non-armorial seals to be called "coats of arms" (in some states by legislative enactment, making the pictorial design on a seal, minus the encircling words, the de jure coat of arms of the state), but also causes people to refer to what actually are coats of arms as seals, causes colleges and universities to abandon the use of their arms except for sealing documents, because they've read somewhere that the use of the seal should be restricted, and on and on. The Wikipedia article on the U.S. great seal used to state that the United States has no coat of arms, just a seal, even though the 1782 Congressional enactment adopting the seal, and the explanation of the design contained in the Congressional journals, both make clear that the design is the "arms," "armorial atchievement [sic]," etc., of the United States.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Edward Hillenbrand

Postby Edward Hillenbrand » 14 Jan 2016, 15:26

Well, Jim, if it is on the internet it has to be true. Abe Lincoln said so. :lol: The sad part of al this IMHO is that American's need a decent discussion on seals and heraldry but in normal time wouldn't due to the attention span of a flea, and now due to the political climate won't for fear of being labeled something.

As I said in my original post, that seal is just ugly! There were some better looking alternatives suggested, but all of them were more drawings or paintings rather a rendition of a blazon. Actually, I have no idea if there is a blazon for the village's seal. I will look into it.
Ed Hillenbrand

"Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori"

Armorial Register - International Register of Arm

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 15 Jan 2016, 13:37

Edward Hillenbrand wrote: Actually, I have no idea if there is a blazon for the village's seal. I will look into it.

Well, good luck, but there shouldn't be a blazon, in my opinion--it's not a coat of arms. There's probably a description in some village ordinance or other, but using heraldic blazonese to describe things that aren't arms usually leads to absurd results.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Return to “United States Heraldry”