Moving down the east coast: Rutgers (the State University of New Jersey) was founded in 1766 as Queen's College.
The school's heraldry is another story of iconographic schizophrenia.
In 1966, for Rutgers's 200th anniversary, the shield on the left was adopted. Not good
heraldry, but at least heraldry. The first quarter of Orange-Nassau is for the Dutch settlers who were heavily involved in founding the college, the second for Queen Charlotte (the original namesake), the third for New Jersey, and the fourth the arms of Col Hendrick Rutgers (the current namesake).
But now it's 2016 and our emblems must "convey where we have been and who we are now" (as the university's website explains, http://www.rutgers.edu/about/rutgers-shield
). Sadly, an opportunity to simplify the 1966 arms into something more genuinely heraldic was missed.