Personal Badge Design

Heraldry in the United States
Chas Charles-Dunne

Re: Personal Badge Design

Postby Chas Charles-Dunne » 23 Jul 2012, 11:24

We have in the past talked about the refrigerator test - printing out some designs and putting them on the fridge and seeing which we are drawn to.

That is a good practice and works well for a couple or three designs. It allows you, Nicholas, the time to make a proper choice - a couple of days, a week, a fortnight, a month, a season, a year. But in this case we have had ideas by the bucketful, a veritable tidal wave of ideas. More and more and more and each one is lost and swamped by the next. So in the end the thread descends to talk of crests and banners and standards.

Time to draw breath. Time for a break for station identification. The thread title is 'Personal Badge Design', but apart from the initial input, there is very little personal left. I do not think this is your fault, it is just the way the thread developed.

In my opinion, I think you should decide, what it is that you want. Do you need a badge? Why? If yes, when will you use it? Will it be mainly on paper or on articles? If on paper, maybe a monochrome image is preferable. If it is going to be painted onto objects, then a minimum of colours might be preferable. Will you ever have to hand draw it? If yes than a geometric design has advantages.

I think needs and wants should be worked out first, before any designs are undertaken.

The kid in the candy store wants everything, but does it need the ensuing stomach ache?
Regards
Chas
IAAH Fellow

Nicholas Hutchinson

Postby Nicholas Hutchinson » 24 Jul 2012, 17:00

One last thing here... Anyone care to give the blazon a try??
"Family is our Strength"

Chas Charles-Dunne

Postby Chas Charles-Dunne » 24 Jul 2012, 21:00

Nicholas Hutchinson wrote:One last thing here... Anyone care to give the blazon a try??

Nicholas - which one do you want us to blazon?
Regards
Chas
IAAH Fellow

Nicholas Hutchinson

Postby Nicholas Hutchinson » 24 Jul 2012, 21:03

The most recent one:
"Family is our Strength"

Nicholas Hutchinson

Postby Nicholas Hutchinson » 26 Jul 2012, 18:17

Any Thoughts??
"Family is our Strength"

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 26 Jul 2012, 20:16

How about : A male demi-gryphon* segreant Sable, beaked Or, langued Gules, rayed and armed Argent, holding in the dexter claw a rose Gules barbed, seeded, slipped and leaved proper ?

* or 'griffin', if you prefer.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

steven harris

Postby steven harris » 20 Aug 2012, 17:42

Hi Nick,

Sorry to re-open this thread after a month.

Given the straight “couped” line of your demi-Griffin badge, I had a thought about putting him in front of the red sun as part of your crest.

This is not dissimilar to the swan in Daniel Gill’s arms: http://amateurheralds.org/gallery/detai ... age_id=210

Just a thought, Steven
Steven A. Harris, Fellow
IAAH member since February 2008
https://goo.gl/btEhVg

Nicholas Hutchinson

Postby Nicholas Hutchinson » 24 Mar 2014, 23:14

steven harris wrote:Hi Nick,

Sorry to re-open this thread after a month.

Given the straight “couped” line of your demi-Griffin badge, I had a thought about putting him in front of the red sun as part of your crest.

This is not dissimilar to the swan in Daniel Gill’s arms: http://amateurheralds.org/gallery/detai ... age_id=210

Just a thought, Steven

I had thought about this, but decided against it. It just seemed too...cluttered when I put him in front of the sun. I have actually been really pleased with the way things have come out with this badge and my full accomplishment. I need to say thank you to all of the members here that helped to make it such a successful process to create something that will last!!

Nick
"Family is our Strength"

Return to “United States Heraldry”