Postby Kathy McClurg » 22 Jul 2012, 23:36

What are the "spikes?"

Is he intentionally not armed gules?
Be well,
Kathy

Nicholas Hutchinson

Re: Personal Badge Design

Postby Nicholas Hutchinson » 23 Jul 2012, 00:07

Ok, question then. Is it appropriate to replace crest or is it more normal to keep original crest an use badge with it? (thinking of standard creation next...)

Cheers!!
"Family is our Strength"

Nicholas Hutchinson

Postby Nicholas Hutchinson » 23 Jul 2012, 00:16

Every version of a male griffin that I have seen has been spiked in some manner:
at least he is not horned... ;)
"Family is our Strength"

steven harris

Postby steven harris » 23 Jul 2012, 01:12

Nicholas Hutchinson wrote:Ok, question then. Is it appropriate to replace crest or is it more normal to keep original crest an use badge with it? (thinking of standard creation next...)

Cheers!!

Opinions differ, but in the US tradition (if it may be called that), each generation is free to inherit the arms and to choose his (or her) own crest.
Steven A. Harris, Fellow
IAAH member since February 2008
https://goo.gl/btEhVg

Jesse Carrasco

Postby Jesse Carrasco » 23 Jul 2012, 02:14

steven harris wrote:
Nicholas Hutchinson wrote:Ok, question then. Is it appropriate to replace crest or is it more normal to keep original crest an use badge with it? (thinking of standard creation next...)

Cheers!!

Opinions differ, but in the US tradition (if it may be called that), each generation is free to inherit the arms and to choose his (or her) own crest.

Yes, you will hear differing opinions about this depending on what side of the pond you're on (and even then...). Personally, I designed my arms to be representative of my whole family and the crest is representative of me. If I'm blessed enough to have children in the future, I don't want them to have a crest until they're old enough to understand what it all means and can design one to be representative of themselves. I think (I hope) this is a good way to get them into heraldry and appreciate all that it is.
Have fun,

--j

Nicholas Hutchinson

Postby Nicholas Hutchinson » 23 Jul 2012, 02:56

Since we have already differences the arms by changing the pale line is it too much to change the crest as well??
"Family is our Strength"

Benjamin Thornton

Postby Benjamin Thornton » 23 Jul 2012, 04:00

steven harris wrote:

Cheers!!

First, Nicholas, do you mean replacing your father's crest with a new one - to make it your own?

If so, opinions will differ (and certainly have when this has been debated before), but opinions aside, I'm not sure that there is much documented basis for this practice aside from assertions made by denizens of this forum and the AHS's. Granted that in the absence of heraldic authorities, assumers of arms are free to do whatever they wish, but this does not necessarily make it US tradition.

In most heraldic traditions (including the US), crests do not change from generation to generation. If cadency/differencing is practiced, it is traditionally done on the shield - that being the most important form of personal identification, heraldically speaking. Outside of a smattering of historical exceptions, I think this unique-crest "tradition" exists mainly on these fora.

If you choose to adopt your own crest, there's nothing stopping you, and you'll no doubt find support here, but don't mistake the opinions expressed by a small group here as indicative of normal practice.
Ben

Saepe Ridete Beneque

Nicholas Hutchinson

Postby Nicholas Hutchinson » 23 Jul 2012, 04:18

Not planning on changing it at all. Was just curious for the most part.

I am most interested in the guidelines for creating a standard next. I am not sure what the order, or preferred designs are. I plan on using the male griffin for my badge. Really not sure how to separate the standard. I do know that the arms usually come first, next to the pole, but after that, not sure what things really should go where. If it is beneficial, maybe we should start a new thread to talk about the creation of a standard??
"Family is our Strength"

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 23 Jul 2012, 06:13

... maybe we should start a new thread to talk about the creation of a standard??

Given that this thread is entitled "Personal Badge Design" I think that would be an excellent idea.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Kathy McClurg

Postby Kathy McClurg » 23 Jul 2012, 06:40

Aye,

The crest thing has been debated several times in several places. It can go either way. I fear I am the cause of such debate in some cases. For those with AHS attachments - here's some comments with referencing:

http://www.americanheraldry.org/forums/ ... #post91523

As to the banner - A new thread might be nice to keep things "neat"
Be well,
Kathy

Return to “United States Heraldry”