Personal Badge Design

Heraldry in the United States
Nicholas Hutchinson

Personal Badge Design

Postby Nicholas Hutchinson » 11 Jul 2012, 00:24

This is a personal badge that I am designing for my own use, however, I am concerned that the image may already be in use. Is there a way for me to check that out?

Feedback on the badge is welcome and encouraged!

Cheers!!
"Family is our Strength"

Chris Green

Re: Personal Badge Design

Postby Chris Green » 11 Jul 2012, 07:08

I am concerned that the image may already be in use. Is there a way for me to check that out?

Sadly no. While you might be able to pry an opinion from one or more of the established heraldic authorities (College of Arms, Lord Lyon's Office etc) it could cost you both time and money and would then only tell you that the badge is/isn't in use in their jurisdiction. You could never be entirely certain that it wasn't in use world-wide.

My advice would be to concentrate on coming up with a badge that is both good heraldry and as original as you can make it. Try encircling what you have already with a wreath of flowers that have meaning for you (the State flower, something your grandma loved, whatever strikes your fancy). Consider having the griffon couped - just the top half, which will have the advantage of centralising the rose more.

My own badge, which will shortly be granted by the College of Arms, includes a wreath of Trientalis Europaea. It is quite an insignificant flower but means a lot to me personally. Twelve of those with leaves make a perfect frame for the rest of my badge. No copying please!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trientalis_europaea
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Nicholas Hutchinson

Postby Nicholas Hutchinson » 11 Jul 2012, 18:00

So, something more like this:

In general where can I find guidelines for badges? Is there a reference book I can take a look at??

Cheers!!
"Family is our Strength"

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 11 Jul 2012, 18:33

Badges were much neglected from mediaeval times until the early 20th century. Boutell - a largely reliable guide on most aspects of heraldry - advocated the wider use of badges 100 years back:

The Badges of our early Heraldry are comparatively but little understood. They invite the particular attention of students, both from their own special interest, and the light they are qualified to throw upon the personal history of the 227 English people, and also from their peculiar applicability for use by ourselves at the present day. Indeed, at this time, when the revival of true Heraldry is in the act of being accomplished with complete success, it appears to be peculiarly desirable that Badges should be brought into general use. It is not enough for us to revive our old English Heraldry as once in the olden time it flourished in England, and to rest content with such a revival: but we must go on to adapt our revived Heraldry, in its own spirit and in full sympathy with its genuine feeling, to conditions of our age and of the state of things now in existence. And very much may be done to effect this by the adoption of Badges, as our favourite and most expressive heraldic insignia, both in connection with Coat-Armour and for independent display. Unlike Crests, which must necessarily be associated with helms and the wearers of helms, and consequently have both a military and a mediæval character, Badges are equally appropriate for use by Ladies, as well as by men of every profession, and they belong alike to every age and period. This has been recognised officially, to the extent that the officers of arms have now reverted to the ancient practice of granting and confirming badges and Standards.

But he didn't say a great deal about what made a good badge:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/23186/23 ... htm#chapXV

Slightly earlier (1907) Fox-Davies wrote a book about badges:

http://archive.org/details/heraldicbadges00foxd

There is a wonderful (I believe) 4 volume set: Heraldic Badges in England & Wales, but it costs £350 (nearly $600)!

http://www.boydellandbrewer.com/store/v ... oduct=9196

As I said in my earlier post, badges sometimes include an encircling wreath or chaplet. The House of Windsor's badge is an example:

Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 11 Jul 2012, 18:48

Chris's suggestion of a wreath is a good one. How about just the gryphon's head, within a wreath of flowers or leaves? You could even make a wreath of alternating roses and fleurs de lis from your arms.

Regards
Arthur

Nicholas Hutchinson

Postby Nicholas Hutchinson » 12 Jul 2012, 21:07

Here is another iteration:
I am not a real fan of the wreath idea (not sure why, it just does not resonate with me...).
Same elements, different concept. Thoughts? Impressions? Feedback?
"Family is our Strength"

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 13 Jul 2012, 06:51

Interesting. You need to bear in mind however that the rose is the cadency mark for a seventh son. While it wouldn't be mistaken for a mark of cadency in your earlier efforts, it might be mistaken in the latest iteration. There is also the colour-on-colour issue - red on blue.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Nicholas Hutchinson

Postby Nicholas Hutchinson » 13 Jul 2012, 20:21

Ok, color on color issue resolved. Now how about this:

How would the blazoning work here? Here is my attempt: A griffins head azure erased beaked or langued gules collared Argent with a rose proper between two f-d-l azure.
"Family is our Strength"

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 13 Jul 2012, 21:21

Nicholas Hutchinson wrote:How would the blazoning work here? Here is my attempt: A griffins head azure erased beaked or langued gules collared Argent with a rose proper between two f-d-l azure.

That's an interesting solution to the problem. I'd say the gryphon's head is "gorged with a collar Argent edged Sable and charged with a rose Gules barbed and seeded proper between two fleurs de lis Azure".
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Nicholas Hutchinson

Postby Nicholas Hutchinson » 13 Jul 2012, 21:53

Arthur Radburn wrote:That's an interesting solution to the problem. I'd say the gryphon's head is "gorged with a collar Argent edged Sable and charged with a rose Gules barbed and seeded proper between two fleurs de lis Azure".

While it is interesting, (thanks btw ;) ) in everyone's opinion does it make for good heraldry and an appropriate badge?? The next part of the project is to get a standard put together!!

Cheers!!
"Family is our Strength"

Return to “United States Heraldry”