Personal Badge Design

Heraldry in the United States
Kathy McClurg

Re: Personal Badge Design

Postby Kathy McClurg » 14 Jul 2012, 00:27

I'm unsure at any distance the collar charges would have any clarity at all...

That's an observation for consideration, not necessarily a vote to change the badge.
Be well,
Kathy

steven harris

Postby steven harris » 17 Jul 2012, 13:39

Your griffin could be crowned or issuant from a circlet of alternating fleurs-de-lis and roses.

EDIT: never mind – seems to already exist…
http://archive.gg.ca/heraldry/pub-reg/p ... rojectID=8
Steven A. Harris, Fellow
IAAH member since February 2008
https://goo.gl/btEhVg

Jeremy Kudlick

Postby Jeremy Kudlick » 17 Jul 2012, 13:44

steven harris wrote:Your griffin could be crowned or issuant from a circlet of alternating fleurs-de-lis and roses.

But that is a Canadian grant. Nicholas is in the States, so there's no real problem there.
Jeremy Kudlick
IAAH Associate Fellow
Semper Patriam Servire Praesto

Benjamin Thornton

Postby Benjamin Thornton » 17 Jul 2012, 15:18

Jeremy Kudlick wrote:
steven harris wrote:Your griffin could be crowned or issuant from a circlet of alternating fleurs-de-lis and roses.

But that is a Canadian grant. Nicholas is in the States, so there's no real problem there.

I'd hope that simply being in the United States wouldn't prompt anyone to knowingly and willfully usurp another's design. That would be a real problem, even if nothing could legally be done about it.
Ben

Saepe Ridete Beneque

Jeremy Kudlick

Postby Jeremy Kudlick » 17 Jul 2012, 15:39

Benjamin Thornton wrote:I'd hope that simply being in the United States wouldn't prompt anyone to knowingly and willfully usurp another's design. That would be a real problem, even if nothing could legally be done about it.

I apologize if I inferred that intentional usurpation of arms or badges from another heraldic jurisdiction was okay. I only meant that persons from different heraldic jurisdiction could bear the same arms or badges without infringing upon the heraldic rights of each other. Steven made a suggestion, then discovered a grant similar to the badge design he suggested, so it appears to me to have been unintentional.
Jeremy Kudlick
IAAH Associate Fellow
Semper Patriam Servire Praesto

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 17 Jul 2012, 15:44

If Nicholas wanted to use the griffin head encircled with a coronet there are any number of ways of making it unique to him. Already his griffin is tongued rouge which the Canadian one is not. The coronet can be simply adjusted by the addition of another element.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Chas Charles-Dunne

Postby Chas Charles-Dunne » 17 Jul 2012, 15:48

For what it is worth, the College of Arms require at least 2 changes to be classed as different arms. Tinctures is the first and obvious. Collar, rather than crown could be another. Couped, rather than Erased is another. Or on a roundel per pale raguly.
Regards
Chas
IAAH Fellow

steven harris

Postby steven harris » 17 Jul 2012, 20:14

I had posed a suggestion to Nicholas; and then I actually found that my suggestion was already taken (as it were) – so I edited my reply to reflect this.

I believe that it would be highly inappropriate for Nicholas to use the already-extant badge of Mr Jones – regardless of the facts that the badge was granted in Canada, or that Mr Jones apparently resides in Frankfurt (Germany).

As far as differences, Nicholas could color his circlet with fleurs Azure and roses Gules (whereas the Jones version is all Argent), and he could crown his griffin instead of collar it.
Steven A. Harris, Fellow
IAAH member since February 2008
https://goo.gl/btEhVg

Nicholas Hutchinson

Postby Nicholas Hutchinson » 17 Jul 2012, 23:46

Taking into consideration the current conversation, here is another ROUGH iteration:
Thoughts, Impressions, Feedback?

Cheers!!
"Family is our Strength"

Kathy McClurg

Postby Kathy McClurg » 18 Jul 2012, 00:52

I think the griffin now looks like a pansy and his expression is the reaction to his mom dressing him this way! :x

I'm sorry Nicholas, but... It was my first impression...

I know you're not overly fond of wreaths, but what about the giffins head erased encircled by fleurs-de-lis and roses? - you could retain the colors of the fleur-de-lis and roses as on your shield that way...

Taking a bit of a step back, what about a griffin's claw grasping a fleur-di-lis or a rose....?
Be well,
Kathy

Return to “United States Heraldry”