King of Arms vs Chief Herald?

Is it legal? Does it matter? Discuss it here.
Jonathan Webster

Re: King of Arms vs Chief Herald?

Postby Jonathan Webster » 02 Oct 2012, 14:34

Not wanting to go off topic; but I've wondered whether; were Scotland to become independent, whether any change in the Royal Arms would take place. I doubt it, but it's at least food for thought.

Jeremy Kudlick

Postby Jeremy Kudlick » 02 Oct 2012, 16:19

Jonathan Webster wrote:Not wanting to go off topic; but I've wondered whether; were Scotland to become independent, whether any change in the Royal Arms would take place. I doubt it, but it's at least food for thought.

I don't think it would be likely, as HM would have to direct the change. Also, note that the arms of HM in Right of Canada include a quarter azure three fleurs-de-lis Or as a nod to the Québecois despite the fact that HM had not had a claim to the French throne for more than a century before the arms were created, as well as quarters for England, Scotland, and Ireland.
Jeremy Kudlick
IAAH Associate Fellow
Semper Patriam Servire Praesto

Jonathan Webster

Postby Jonathan Webster » 02 Oct 2012, 16:31

No; bearing in mind that HM already has arms in right of both Scotland and the rest of the UK already it doesn't seem likely. Also, the arms weren't changed to reflect the secession of most of Ireland, so why should it be the case with Scotland?

Return to “The Law and Lore of Heraldry”