Civic Augmentations for the US

Is it legal? Does it matter? Discuss it here.
Chris Green

Re: Civic Augmentations for the US

Postby Chris Green » 10 Aug 2015, 05:06

The Congressional Gold Medal does not seem to be covered by the AHS Guidelines. Or am I missing something?
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 10 Aug 2015, 13:50

It's covered by the provision that awards with no wearable insignia are not customarily displayed as part of an armorial achievement.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 10 Aug 2015, 13:52

I should have mentioned that the advice we (AHS) give to people who want to know which award is a decoration and which is a service medal is: look at the relevant military service regulations. If the army, e.g., calls it a decoration, it's a decoration and can be displayed with a coat of arms. If it doesn't, it isn't, and can't.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Michael F. McCartney

Postby Michael F. McCartney » 10 Aug 2015, 21:11

Ditto above, though I don't personally object to a campaign medal if displayed together with a decoration for meritorious achievement or bravery awarded during the same campaign. (A minority view of course)

But even applying the Guidelines as written, there are acceptable ways to include campaign medals, awards with no ribbon, rank insignia, airborne or combat infantryman's badge, marksmanship medal dogtags, distinctive unit insignia, the arms or badge of one's school, home town, fraternal organization, etc. - just not on or dangling below the shield.

Armorial bookplates frequently include a selection of these items in the corners of, or in a decorative border around, the square bookplate - but not on or touching the arms in the center. The same approach can be used on a library painting of the arms, or a shadow box with one's various awards and other memorabilia around or adjacent to an emblazonment of one's arms.
Michael F. McCartney
Fremont, California

Mike_Oettle

Postby Mike_Oettle » 19 Aug 2015, 22:10

A most interesting discussion.
However, since the only medal awarded to me by the South African Army is a campaign medal, and one I am not particularly proud to display, it will not be appearing anywhere near my coat of arms, even in my own home. The medal has never been attached to the ribbon, and both languish in a drawer somewhere.
The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
[Proverbs 14:27]

Michael F. McCartney

Postby Michael F. McCartney » 20 Aug 2015, 00:26

Hey, simpler is always good!
Michael F. McCartney
Fremont, California

Return to “The Law and Lore of Heraldry”