DARs Completed in 2018

This is where the V.P. Heraldic Design will post finished projects.
Chris Green

Re: DARs Completed in 2018

Postby Chris Green » 19 Jul 2018, 20:49

Ryan Shuflin wrote:I mean are there any katanas that aren't Japanese?

There are similar swords, in Korea for example, but they are not called "katana".
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Bruce E Weller

Postby Bruce E Weller » 20 Jul 2018, 10:15

Katanas are now widely reproduced throughout the world, indeed China is, I understand, a major manufacturer of display type swords.

To me the use of Japanese Katana implies a genuine, traditionally made sword, rather than a display or "wall" weapon.

I would stick with the description which offers both guidance to the artist and, possibly, an intentional distinctiveness for the armiger.

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 20 Jul 2018, 16:14

Bruce E Weller wrote:Katanas are now widely reproduced throughout the world, indeed China is, I understand, a major manufacturer of display type swords.

To me the use of Japanese Katana implies a genuine, traditionally made sword, rather than a display or "wall" weapon.

I would stick with the description which offers both guidance to the artist and, possibly, an intentional distinctiveness for the armiger.

I understand the difference between a traditionally made weapon, and a cheap knock off, but how is the artist going to interpret that?

This is, after all a picture we are talking about not an actual sword. It is both redundant and a distinction without a difference. Or maybe a difference without a distinction?

Return to “Design Assistance Requests”