Chris Green wrote:Chas Charles-Dunne
If you don't mind a personal view:
1) I would imagine that your friend is religious, probably a priest, in which case a helm would be inappropriate.
That would only apply to priests that are precluded from marriage (RC?) but certainly not to any of the Anglican faith.
2) The use of the Cross Potent between four Crosslets Or is particularly associated with the Kings of Jerusalem and therefore you should use one of the other myriad forms of cross.
A Jerusalem Cross is generally accepted as a Cross Potent quartered with four Greek
Crosses. Cross crosslets are not the same - they have to have an extra four vertical/horizontal bars to each cross to be termed a Cross crosslet. This Cross design can be suitably differenced by actually making the quartered Greek crosses into Cross crosslets. Some say that the flag of Georgia imitates the Jerusalem Cross, but this is incorrect as the main cross is a plain Cross throughout quartering four Bolnur-Katskhuri
crosses, which are similar to a truncated Cross formy.
3) The lion rampant and demi-stag salient are pretty much lost in comparison with the chevron. The lion may be collared, but most artistic renderings of these arms would be hard put to depict the collar so that anyone could see. You might achieve a better effect by a lions head and a stags head - couped or erased.
4) It is hard to see, but the crest appears to be a version of the Jerusalem Cross again, in which case my former comment applies. Moreover the crest needs to be somewhat larger.
Ditto and 'agreed' re the relevant size of the crest.
5) Finally, are you absolutely convinced that your friend will appreciate the colour combination? Mauve (Purpure?) and yellow is not everyone's idea of a pleasing mix. Have you tried other combinations of tincture?
Couldn't agree more.