DARs Completed in 2017

This is where the V.P. Heraldic Design will post finished projects.
Terry Baldwin

Re: DARs Completed in 2017

Postby Terry Baldwin » 09 Dec 2017, 22:24

McATEE Final 300.jpg

Mr. Robert McAtee a resident of San Antonio, Texas, USA

Blazon: Sanguine on a Fess Or a Closet compony Argent and Sable in chief four Fusils in fess Or.

Crest: From a Torse Or and Sanguine on a Grassy Mound Vert in front of six Arrows interlaced in saltire points upwards a coiled Rattlesnake about to strike all proper.

Mantling: Sanguine doubled Or

Motto: Incepto Ne Desistam (May I not shrink from my purpose.

Herald: Geoff Kingman-Sugars

Artist: Lee Lumbley

Date: Arms assumed 1 October 2017
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

Terry Baldwin
IAAH Vice President: Heraldic Design

Michael F. McCartney

Postby Michael F. McCartney » 12 Dec 2017, 06:47

Striking design! Curious as to the intended symbolism...
Michael F. McCartney
Fremont, California

Terry Baldwin

Postby Terry Baldwin » 13 Dec 2017, 13:49

Client had an encounter (non injury) with the snake, actually had a photo of the snake in that position. The shield was of the client's design, reasoning for composition not given.
Regards,

Terry Baldwin
IAAH Vice President: Heraldic Design

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 14 Dec 2017, 14:36

I like the McAtee arms very much, both shield and crest. I'd only make two suggestions.

First, predictably from me, I don't see the need for the field to be blazoned as "sanguine" rather than "gules," particularly since the shade used in the emblazonment would almost certainly be identified by most heraldists as gules if we didn't have the blazon in front of us. Philosophically, I think the "stains" should be used very, very sparingly, especially this one, as its use undermines the principle that any shade of a heraldic tincture is the same tincture--i.e., pastel green, medium green, forest green, hunter green, etc., are all "vert," the selection of intensity being a matter of artistic taste. That's just venting, I guess, since I'm sure I'll persuade no one.

Second, I would have suggested having the snake coil around the arrows rather than being placed in front of them. It would (I think) make for a more realistic 3D crest and would more readily permit the helm to be displayed in profile as well as affronty without compromising the clarity of the design.

But those are both just carping; it really is an excellent piece of work.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 14 Dec 2017, 15:43

I don't see the need for the field to be blazoned as "sanguine" rather than "gules," particularly since the shade used in the emblazonment would almost certainly be identified by most heraldists as gules if we didn't have the blazon in front of us. Philosophically, I think the "stains" should be used very, very sparingly, especially this one, as its use undermines the principle that any shade of a heraldic tincture is the same tincture--i.e., pastel green, medium green, forest green, hunter green, etc., are all "vert," the selection of intensity being a matter of artistic taste. That's just venting, I guess, since I'm sure I'll persuade no one.

You don't have to persuade me!
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Return to “Design Assistance Requests”