Norway : Asker municipal arms

Nordic heraldry (Denmark, Faroe Islands, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden)
Iain Boyd

Re: Norway : Asker municipal arms

Postby Iain Boyd » 21 Jun 2018, 22:26

Not my preferred choice!

Chris Green wrote:I'm not sure I could draft a blazon that would guarantee that the emblazonment resembled the picture.

I am prepared to give it a go -

"Azure three triangular sails argent billowing towards the sinister the middle sail larger and overlapping the outside two."

Notes -

I am sure that 'triangular sails' could be replaced with 'lateen sails'. However, this would require one to look up a traditional dictionary for a definition.

(A lateen (from French latine, meaning "Latin") or latin-rig is a triangular sail set on a long yard mounted at an angle on the mast, and running in a fore-and-aft direction.)

Billowing - from the verb 'to billow' meaning 'to fill with air and swell outwards'.

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Bruce E Weller

Postby Bruce E Weller » 22 Jun 2018, 10:30

The representation reminds me of three overlapping jib sails but that configuration is strange to me.
Stick with "...triangular sails argent billowing..." which is an excellent and graphic description, Iain, and leave the rest to the artist.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 22 Jun 2018, 10:58

What distresses me most is that the winner receives NKr25,000 (£2300 US$3,090). But we are amateurs! Money means nothing to us. Sob ....
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 22 Jun 2018, 18:29

Bruce E Weller wrote:Stick with "...triangular sails argent billowing..." which is an excellent and graphic description, Iain, and leave the rest to the artist.
My thoughts too. To avoid ambiguity, I'd suggest "three triangular sails in fess Argent", lest an artist thinks they might be placed 2 and 1.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Return to “Nordic heraldry”