Prince Nicolas of Sweden, Duke of Ångermanland

Nordic heraldry (Denmark, Faroe Islands, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden)
Chris Green

Re: Prince Nicolas of Sweden, Duke of Ångermanland

Postby Chris Green » 20 Oct 2015, 13:18

Swedish Hertigar/Hertiginnar (Dukes/Duchesses) are all members of the Royal Family. The titles are not hereditary. Thus, for example, Princess Madeleine is Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland, her daughter Princess Leonore is Duchess of Gotland and her son Prince Nicolas is Duke of Ångermanland. Neither child will inherit the Duchy of Hälsingland and Gästrikland; when Princess Madeleine dies the title will cease to exist until such time as the monarch chooses to grant it again. Some Duchies have recurred quite often, but six Landskaps (provinces) have never had the privilege of a Royal Duke or Duchess. There is thus some interest in those areas as to whether one of them will get a Duke or Duchess when Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia's forthcoming child is born.

As I have mentioned in the thread about Princess Madeleine's husband, Mr Christopher O'Neill, non-Swedes do not get princely titles on marriage into the Swedish Royal Family, nor are they entitled to a Ducal title.

It is perhaps worth noting that Prince Daniel has the title Duke of Västergötland but only because he is husband of the Crown Princess who is Duchess.

There are no non-royal Swedish Dukes and never have been.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 21 Oct 2015, 14:07

I understand what you have said. I just wonder which constitutes a member of the Swedish Royal Family. Will they grant dukedoms till they run out of provinces? Will great great grand children of a sovereign still be Princes?

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 21 Oct 2015, 16:08

Ryan Shuflin wrote:I understand what you have said. I just wonder which constitutes a member of the Swedish Royal Family. Will they grant dukedoms till they run out of provinces? Will great great grand children of a sovereign still be Princes?

A very valid question! The situation has never previously arisen. Indeed from 1947 to 1979 the only Dukes were the present King and his uncle Bertil, Duke of Halland. The House of Bernadotte was virtually extinct (or at least those members who were in the line of succession, others had lost their rights through "inappropriate" marriages - Dukes of Dalarna, Småland and Uppland).

I hope one of our Swedish members knows whether there is any rule regarding how broad the Swedish Royal Family can be (are the grandchildren of Princes also Princes and therefore Dukes?). But there is no likelihood of the Dukedoms running out any time soon. A quick count suggests that there are no less than 18 provinces "vacant".
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 21 Oct 2015, 19:23

Looking at the official Site of the Royal court there is a distinctiton between the Royal House and the Royal Family the later beeing at wider cicle.

The Royal House
Conists of the King and Queen thier Children with Husbands and Wives (except Mr O'Niell, which acctualy declined any Swedish title and has not adopted Swedish Nationality) and the Grandchildren och the King and Queen. To the Royal House also belong Princess Birgitta, Sister to the King married to Johann Georg Prince of Hohenzollen.

To the Royal Family belongs the Royal House members but also the King's other Sisters Princess Margaretha, Mrs Ambler; Princess Désirée, Baroness Silfverschiöld and Princess Christina Mrs Magnusson. To the Royal Family also belongs Countess Marianne Bernadotte af Wisborg and Countess Gunnila Bernadotte af Wisborg. Also form this wider Group Mr O'Niell is excluded.

The Question of Great Grandchildren can be answered with a yes. The present King Carl XIV Gustaf was acctualy born during the reign of his Great Grandfather Gustaf V in 1946. King Gustaf V dying in 1950. He was presented with the Title Hereditary Prince of Sweden (meaning that he would someday become King)* and Duke of Jämtland at Birth.

*Due to the long life of Gustaf V, the Father of Carl XIV Gustaf, the Hereditary Prince Gustaf Adolf, Duke of Västerbotten (never became King as he was killed in a Airplane Crash in 1947) was the son of the then Crown Prince Gustaf Adolf, Duke of Skåne (as King Gustaf VI Adolf). Crown Prince (or now also Crown Princess) beeing the title bestowed upon the person beeing first in succession.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 21 Oct 2015, 20:01

Thank you for that explanation Marcus. I can see that the heir to the throne would be made Crown Prince/Princess and a Duke/Duchess and that the the heir's heir would be made a Prince/Princess and Duke/Duchess and if necessary the same would apply to the next generation. After all each would (accidents avoided) become monarch in due course. I wonder though whether the same would apply to the junior branches, for example children of Princess Leonore or Prince Nicolas (and if so their children).
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 22 Oct 2015, 19:32

I would guess the future Children of Princess Leonore and Prince Nicolas would not be counted as member of the Royal House and perhaps not of the Royal Family. And thus not be granted any titles. It also appears that Princess Leonore and Prince Nicolas will be excluded from the Swedish succession as they are not raised in Sweden. § 4 in the Succession Law states that Princes and Princesses should be raised in the Evangelical Faith as proclaimed in the Augsburg Confession and within the limits of the Realm. If otherwise they shall be excluded from the Succession.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 23 Dec 2015, 11:02

The official drawing of Prince Nicholas' Armorial Bearing have be published on the New Heraldic Arms section of the State Archives (Riksarkivet).

Return to “Nordic heraldry”