New Abbot of Conception Abbey, Mo., USA

Daniel Gill

New Abbot of Conception Abbey, Mo., USA

Postby Daniel Gill » 02 Aug 2017, 21:05

Abbot Benedict Neenan, elected Nov 22 2016, and installed earlier this year. An elegant design, I say, though Fr. Pachomius didn't emblazon it quite the way he blazoned it, viz. the drops are 2, 3, 3, 2. In all actuality, I prefer the emblazonment and wouldn't have specified 2,3,3,2 in the first place, leaving it up to the artist.

(Fr.) Daniel C. Gill

JMcMillan

Re: New Abbot of Conception Abbey, Mo., USA

Postby JMcMillan » 03 Aug 2017, 03:53

I wonder if Fr. P. thought that 2-3-3-2 meant from dexter to sinister instead of top to bottom.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Michael F. McCartney

Postby Michael F. McCartney » 03 Aug 2017, 06:27

The blazon does say "palewise two, three, three, two" which quite unusual, but does suggest that the numbers are to be counted vertically rather than the usual (default, and therefore not stated) horizontally.

The designer did manage to wring a lot of (I assume, not being of his faith) meaningful symbolism from relatively few charges. I especially like the dovetailing reference to his former secular trade craft.
Michael F. McCartney
Fremont, California

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 03 Aug 2017, 08:58

The blazon does say "palewise two, three, three, two" which quite unusual, but does suggest that the numbers are to be counted vertically rather than the usual (default, and therefore not stated) horizontally.

Blazoning the gouttes de sang as illustrated but from top to bottom instead of dexter to sinister would be a considerable challenge and make the blazon cumbersome to say the least.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Michael F. McCartney

Postby Michael F. McCartney » 04 Aug 2017, 06:26

But given the normal (unspoken) default, the addition of "palewise" at least suggests counting vertically rather than the normal horizontally. It's not crystal clear, but there is still at least that clue.

...and there's always "...as is more clearly shown in the margin" ;)
Michael F. McCartney
Fremont, California

Return to “Ecclesiastical Heraldry”