Arms of Pope Francis

GSelvester

Arms of Pope Francis

Postby GSelvester » 14 Mar 2013, 09:40

I believe that the election of Pope Francis will bring yet more innovation to papal heraldry. I think he may have to be talked into changing his present coat of arms. The principal charge is the symbol of the Society of Jesus so it might be considered a good idea to redesign the arms to reduce the prominence of the symbol of one Religious Order in the arms of a pope who is now pastor of all Catholics. I say this may be done. The pope may not wish to do so. Also, it has been said that as archbishop of Buenos Aires he used to display his arms even without the archiepiscopal cross. I'm not sure why. I mean, without the cross they are not the arms of an archbishop.

All this is to say that, once again, as I have been saying I strongly doubt the tiara will be used in Pope Francis' coat of arms. I also believe that Cardinal Montezemolo will design the new pope's arms.

I have even heard rumors that something totally new will be employed as the external ornament for the pope; neither a tiara or a mitre. We'll just have to wait and see. But, in the end the heraldic traditions of hundreds of years will not be respected and heraldry will, once again, be used as a means of advancing an agenda.

Chris Green

Re: Arms of Pope Francis

Postby Chris Green » 14 Mar 2013, 09:57

The new Pope is the first to be a Jesuit?
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

steven harris

Postby steven harris » 14 Mar 2013, 13:25

Chris Green wrote:The new Pope is the first to be a Jesuit?

he is!
Steven A. Harris, Fellow
IAAH member since February 2008
https://goo.gl/btEhVg

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 14 Mar 2013, 16:19

GSelvester wrote:I believe that the election of Pope Francis will bring yet more innovation to papal heraldry. I think he may have to be talked into changing his present coat of arms. The principal charge is the symbol of the Society of Jesus so it might be considered a good idea to redesign the arms to reduce the prominence of the symbol of one Religious Order in the arms of a pope who is now pastor of all Catholics. I say this may be done. The pope may not wish to do so. Also, it has been said that as archbishop of Buenos Aires he used to display his arms even without the archiepiscopal cross. I'm not sure why. I mean, without the cross they are not the arms of an archbishop.

All this is to say that, once again, as I have been saying I strongly doubt the tiara will be used in Pope Francis' coat of arms. I also believe that Cardinal Montezemolo will design the new pope's arms.

I have even heard rumors that something totally new will be employed as the external ornament for the pope; neither a tiara or a mitre. We'll just have to wait and see. But, in the end the heraldic traditions of hundreds of years will not be respected and heraldry will, once again, be used as a means of advancing an agenda.

Perhaps then they will use the Triple so called Papal Cross? If not the Tiara is used.

GSelvester

Postby GSelvester » 18 Mar 2013, 13:37

OFFICIAL. Released today.

Ton de Witte

Postby Ton de Witte » 18 Mar 2013, 16:58

looks like a cut and paste job from the arms of some of the previous popes except for the shield.
Ton de Witte
IAAH secretary

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 18 Mar 2013, 17:32

Truly horrid. One is almost tempted to pray for a new Bruno Heim.

From what I have read of Pope Francis (Why do people call him Francis I? There isn't a Francis II to confuse him with!) heraldry comes nowhere in his list of priorities.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Chas Charles-Dunne

Postby Chas Charles-Dunne » 18 Mar 2013, 19:24

I agree - I think that they are ugly.

I wonder why he even bothers. There is nothing doctrinally that compels him to have arms. The English Pope, Nicholas Breakspear (Adrian IV) did not have arms. He could just 'not have arms' and use the arms of the Vatican.

All very disappointing.
Regards
Chas
IAAH Fellow

GSelvester

Postby GSelvester » 18 Mar 2013, 21:08

Adrian IV (pope from 1154-1159) like a lot of popes, didn't have a coat of arms because he lived and was pope before coats of arms existed!

Chas Charles-Dunne

Postby Chas Charles-Dunne » 18 Mar 2013, 22:39

Didn't Lucius II (1144-1145) the 166th pope and Anastasius IV (1153-1154) the 168th pope both have arms?

Lucius II 1144-1145

Anastasius IV 1153-1154
Regards
Chas
IAAH Fellow

Return to “Ecclesiastical Heraldry”