Arms of Pope Francis

GSelvester

Re: Arms of Pope Francis

Postby GSelvester » 22 Mar 2013, 03:44

The Prefect of the Pontifical Household always impales his arms with those of the current pope under whom he serves. So, his arms change whenever popes change. Archbishop Georg Gänswein is the current Prefect. His arms are shown below as they were when he adopted them just this past January under Benedict XVI and below that as they will appear now under Francis. That's a whole lotta blue but, short of changing his personal arms, not much he can do about it.

Jeremy Kudlick

Postby Jeremy Kudlick » 23 Mar 2013, 21:50

GSelvester wrote:The Prefect of the Pontifical Household always impales his arms with those of the current pope under whom he serves. So, his arms change whenever popes change. Archbishop Georg Gänswein is the current Prefect. His arms are shown below as they were when he adopted them just this past January under Benedict XVI and below that as they will appear now under Francis. That's a whole lotta blue but, short of changing his personal arms, not much he can do about it.

Out of curiosity and a desire for knowledge, why wouldn't the Prefect use a violet hat with red tassels? I must confess that the rules for who displays what hat are a tad confusing to me.
Jeremy Kudlick
IAAH Associate Fellow
Semper Patriam Servire Praesto

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 24 Mar 2013, 03:28

Jeremy Kudlick wrote:
GSelvester wrote:The Prefect of the Pontifical Household always impales his arms with those of the current pope under whom he serves. So, his arms change whenever popes change. Archbishop Georg Gänswein is the current Prefect. His arms are shown below as they were when he adopted them just this past January under Benedict XVI and below that as they will appear now under Francis. That's a whole lotta blue but, short of changing his personal arms, not much he can do about it.

Out of curiosity and a desire for knowledge, why wouldn't the Prefect use a violet hat with red tassels? I must confess that the rules for who displays what hat are a tad confusing to me.

Because he is an archbishop.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Jeremy Kudlick

Postby Jeremy Kudlick » 24 Mar 2013, 04:11

JMcMillan wrote:Because he is an archbishop.

So even with his position, he's not considered a Prelate of the Papal Chamber?
Jeremy Kudlick
IAAH Associate Fellow

Claus K Berntsen

Postby Claus K Berntsen » 25 Mar 2013, 18:18

Jeremy Kudlick wrote:
JMcMillan wrote:Because he is an archbishop.

So even with his position, he's not considered a Prelate of the Papal Chamber?

He is, but Archbishop trumps a Prelate of the Papal Chamber...

Jeremy Kudlick

Postby Jeremy Kudlick » 25 Mar 2013, 20:51

Thank you. The Catholic hierarchy and the rules regarding their heraldic accoutrements are more confusing to me than trying to solve an ordinary differential equation.
Jeremy Kudlick
IAAH Associate Fellow

GSelvester

Postby GSelvester » 27 Mar 2013, 01:56

We should all be happy to see that a newer and far superior rendering of the pope's coat of arms has now appeared on the Vatican website. This should especially be of interest to those of you who wondered about the "flower of nard". I also think the star is rendered better.

A complete explanation is also included on the website:

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/francesco/elezione/stemma-papa-francesco_it.html

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 27 Mar 2013, 08:44

Much better than the initial version!
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Andy Jamieson

Postby Andy Jamieson » 28 Mar 2013, 21:57

I'm not too keen on the shield whilst I don't mind the mitre I'm not a fan of the three gold bands even though they are symbolic. Just my humble opinion. To each their own. As my wife says, 'you must respect the patron's vision'.

Ce Jamieson

Postby Ce Jamieson » 02 Apr 2013, 21:42

Andy Jamieson wrote:I'm not too keen on the shield whilst I don't mind the mitre I'm not a fan of the three gold bands even though they are symbolic. Just my humble opinion. To each their own. As my wife says, 'you must respect the patron's vision'.

The arms are very reflective of the man and at the end of the day that is what heraldry is all bout.

Return to “Ecclesiastical Heraldry”