Bishop Coyle

GSelvester

Bishop Coyle

Postby GSelvester » 26 Apr 2013, 19:42

The coat of arms I designed for the Most Rev. Robert Coyle, a priest of the diocese of Rockville Centre, NY who was ordained yesterday as Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of the Military Services, USA. He was, for many years a Navy Chaplain.

Chris Green

Re: Bishop Coyle

Postby Chris Green » 27 Apr 2013, 07:13

This CoA fits the bill exactly. It tells us that its bearer is associated with the sea, and of his pilgrimage of faith. The boat is a simple single-masted craft that would not have been out of place used by fishermen on the Sea of Galilee.

Some will doubtless cavil at the use of a letter of the alphabet on a CoA, but for devout Roman Catholics at least that argument will fall on deaf ears. If it was acceptable for a Pope no better authority for its use is needed. I find its use on the sail admirable. Displays on ships' sails have been commonplace since the earliest antiquity and still occur in our times.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 27 Apr 2013, 15:57

A first-class design, Fr Guy. I like the way that the mast of the boat echoes the cross behind the shield.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Jeremy Kudlick

Postby Jeremy Kudlick » 27 Apr 2013, 16:56

I agree this is a remarkable design. Each element has meaning, and the overall design is not overwhelming. The only posible quibble is with the "M" on the sail, but as Chris and Arthur have already stated, the "M" was used by Pope John Paul II, and symbols have been displayed on sails truly since time immemorial. These are arms I hope the good Bishop chooses to retain throughout his career.
Jeremy Kudlick
IAAH Associate Fellow
Semper Patriam Servire Praesto

Peter Harling

Postby Peter Harling » 28 Apr 2013, 18:54

Somehow, the letter billowing in the wind on the sail, does not offend the eye in the least! Even we who would not approve of letters on arms could scarce be offended by this design. Congratulations, Father Guy.

Regards ............ Peter
Regards Peter Harling
IAAH Fellow

Return to “Ecclesiastical Heraldry”