Arms of the Apostolic Nuncio to the Ukraine.

Marcus Karlsson

Arms of the Apostolic Nuncio to the Ukraine.

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 27 Mar 2014, 19:34

From Wikimedia Arms of Thomas Edward Gullickson Titular Archbishop of Polymartium and Apostolic Nuncio of the Holy See to the Ukraine (since 21 May 2011). A Country much in the News these Days.

The Chief alludes to the Arms of the Diocese of Sioux Falls in the USA. Where Gullickson was born and consecrated a Priest. The meaning of the other fields I don't know. But the Ukrainian colours are Gold and Blue. The Archbishop also served as Nunico to nations in the Caribbean before being sent to the Ukraine, so perhaps the waves alludes to this.

GSelvester

Re: Arms of the Apostolic Nuncio to the Ukraine.

Postby GSelvester » 28 Mar 2014, 19:56

Since he was named a bishop and ordained as such in 2004 and not sent to Ukraine until 2011 I doubt that anything in his coat of arms has anything to do with Ukriane. The Ukrainian national colors are merely a coincidence. In addition, while you're guess about the wavy lines (which to me suggest falls more than an ocean) may have to do with former Caribbean assignment it is not the custom for prelates in the diplomatic corps to base their arms on the place where they are assigned because a) they have no attachment to that place canonically. That is to say they are not clergy of that place during their stay there and b) they never stay for more than a few years. Yet, they do not change their coats of arms whenever they are reassigned to a new diplomatic post. These are personal arms only and, I'm sure, have nothing to do with the places where the archbishop has served as a diplomat which is as a representative to the local government, not an ecclesiastical position.

Iain Boyd

Postby Iain Boyd » 28 Mar 2014, 20:52

I am not sure where the star comes from, but, the 'paly wavy' is based on the arms of the Diocese of Sioux Falls. The field of the diocese's arms is 'azure three pallets argent'.

Iain Boyd

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 31 Mar 2014, 19:50

GSelvester wrote:Since he was named a bishop and ordained as such in 2004 and not sent to Ukraine until 2011 I doubt that anything in his coat of arms has anything to do with Ukriane. The Ukrainian national colors are merely a coincidence. In addition, while you're guess about the wavy lines (which to me suggest falls more than an ocean) may have to do with former Caribbean assignment it is not the custom for prelates in the diplomatic corps to base their arms on the place where they are assigned because a) they have no attachment to that place canonically. That is to say they are not clergy of that place during their stay there and b) they never stay for more than a few years. Yet, they do not change their coats of arms whenever they are reassigned to a new diplomatic post. These are personal arms only and, I'm sure, have nothing to do with the places where the archbishop has served as a diplomat which is as a representative to the local government, not an ecclesiastical position.

I see, so the colour combination in this instance is just a happy coinsidence.

Return to “Ecclesiastical Heraldry”