Stanton arms and cadet shields

Heraldry in Canada.
Arthur Radburn

Stanton arms and cadet shields

Postby Arthur Radburn » 30 Dec 2018, 12:24

Another of the recently uploaded grants on the CHA website : the arms of Kevin J. Stanton, with cadet shields for his three children.

Kevin J. Stanton's arms :

Kevin J. Stanton - CHA 2018.jpg

The three heraldic heirs :

Stanton heirs - CHA 2018.jpg

Emma C. Stanton (heir to the undifferenced arms); Noah A. Stanton (differenced arms for himself and his descendants); and Anna E. Stanton (differenced arms for herself and her descendants).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Chris Green

Re: Stanton arms and cadet shields

Postby Chris Green » 30 Dec 2018, 16:25

More Canadian dottiness. The second and third arms are not really differenced but different, given that the field has been fundamentally altered.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 07 Jan 2019, 16:52

They have done worse. Besides, changing the field has been used for difference before, although usually it is the metal.

Martin Goldstraw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Goldstraw » 08 Jan 2019, 10:42

Lyon Court did something similar when the rather wealthy Reisinger family acquired a number of Scottish "feudal" baronies and Earldoms just over ten years ago. Each child was provided with a different feudal title by their wealthy daddy; perhaps the idea of the differenced arms was the creation of five new "feudal" dynasties ?!!

Reisinger1a.jpg

Note: Feudal tenure in Scotland has now been abolished and the Lord Lyon has made many changes to his views (and those of his predecessors in title) on feudal "dignities" (especially those such as Feudal earldoms which are no longer recognised) and whether they are to be mentioned in future on Letters Patent but that is quite another discussion.

Image credit to John Gaylor of the Scottish Heraldry Society.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Martin Goldstraw
Cheshire Heraldry
http://cheshire-heraldry.org.uk

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 08 Jan 2019, 13:15

"Rather wealthy" being translatable into American English as "stinking rich."

It never occurred to me before, but with all their Scottish acquisitions the Reisingers are not only figuratively but literally "beer barons."
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Martin Goldstraw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Goldstraw » 08 Jan 2019, 13:22

JMcMillan wrote:"Rather wealthy" being translatable into American English as "stinking rich."

It never occurred to me before, but with all their Scottish acquisitions the Reisingers are not only figuratively but literally "beer barons."

Clearly they have sufficient disposable funds to squander some; well, to thee and me, rather more than just some!
Martin Goldstraw
Cheshire Heraldry

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 08 Jan 2019, 13:57

Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Martin Goldstraw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Goldstraw » 08 Jan 2019, 15:06

Thanks for the link. Interesting to say the least. Unfortunately, some people will actually believe his claims.

This bit almost had me in stitches!

By the time Scotland ended feudalism in 2004, he held more than 40 titles. (“When you come from a very old family, people die off all the time.”) When he’d first learned that the law was changing, he’d petitioned the Queen to allow some of those titles to be divided among his five children. Three weeks before the new law went into effect, she agreed

He purchased all his "titles" and H.M. Couldn't have given a toss what he did with them!
I've rarely seen such Bull in one article.
Martin Goldstraw
Cheshire Heraldry

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 11 Jan 2019, 10:49

I don't find the idea of giving his kids each a title that odd, but if he was real smart he would have moved to Spain and got them to recognize the titles. :D

I am assuming his titles are tied to little bits of land, but lets say someone had a handful of Scottish estates and divided them among his children so that each was Laird of Somewhere. This would be extremely normal. The coat of arms for the daughters is perhaps the most unusual part. Changing the tincture has precedent, in Scotland I know several branches of the Hays used different tinctured fields.

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 11 Jan 2019, 20:36

Ryan Shuflin wrote:I don't find the idea of giving his kids each a title that odd, but if he was real smart he would have moved to Spain and got them to recognize the titles. :D

How? Who?
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Return to “Canadian Heraldry”