Peters arms - CHA 2016

Heraldry in Canada.
Arthur Radburn

Peters arms - CHA 2016

Postby Arthur Radburn » 29 Jul 2017, 16:07

A few days ago, we discussed the propriety of unofficial heralds placing crossed batons behind their arms.

Here's a recent Canadian example of placing emblems of office behind arms : the arms of John G. Peters, granted in 2016. He is the Canadian Senate's Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod, and has two Black Rods behind his shield :

The blazon of the arms is : Gyronny Argent and Sable, a saltire of eight points quarter-pierced per saltire quarterly Gules and Argent. The symbolism can be read here.

This grant also demonstrates the CHA's policy, adopted in 2014, on displaying orders and decorations with arms. In the past, only orders and decorations were depicted, but now any official medal can be shown. In this case, the central badge is the Royal Victorian Order, that to the left is the Queen's diamond jubilee commemorative medal, and that to the right is the Royal Canadian Mounted Police's long service medal.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Chris Green

Re: Peters arms - CHA 2016

Postby Chris Green » 29 Jul 2017, 17:55

I can see no reason why Black Rod should not place Rods of office behind his arms (not sure if his UK equivalent would do so though). Putting LS medals or commemorative medals below the arms seems OTT to me. By that standard some armigers would have a festoon of gongs that would make a Christmas tree blush. Or do the Canadians make 3 the maximum?

I cannot (yet) find arms for the UK Black Rod, Lt Gen David Leakey CMG CBE. He could depend both the CMG and CBE under the traditional practice, but 6 more gongs under the Canadian practice if it were extended to the UK.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Arthur Radburn

Re: Peters arms - CHA 2016

Postby Arthur Radburn » 29 Jul 2017, 19:14

Chris Green wrote:Or do the Canadians make 3 the maximum?
I recall reading somewhere that three is the maximum (as far as CHA emblazonments go, anyway).
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Return to “Canadian Heraldry”