New Governor General- Mary Simon

Heraldry in Canada.
Charles Veale

New Governor General- Mary Simon

Postby Charles Veale » 08 Jul 2021, 22:35

She does not appear to have arms. It will be interesting to see the design that is chosen. I think, given her heritage, that her shield may be round.
Charles Veale, CD, FSAScot
Georgetown, Ontario

Arthur Radburn

Re: New Governor General- Mary Simon

Postby Arthur Radburn » 09 Jul 2021, 18:39

It will certainly be interesting. I understand that the usual procedure is that the outgoing GG grants (or co-grants?) arms to his/her successor, and that the CHA opens a new volume of the register, with the new GG's arms as the first entry. Given that the outgoing GG has already gone, I suppose the acting GG will grant Ms Simon's arms.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Charles Veale

Postby Charles Veale » 11 Jul 2021, 18:28

It appears that the most recent Vol, VIII minus a first page began in 2017. Vol VI, where the previous GG's arms are located started in 2010. sO It appears that a new volume is created for each GG, however, their arms are on the first page of the volume from the previous GG. The good news is that each volume seems to be bigger than the last, meaning that more arms are granted. The exception to this is the most recent volume as this would normally be only about halfway into its cycle.

For those interested, this is where I found the information: https://reg.gg.ca/heraldry/pub-reg/regV ... gVolume=VI
Georgetown, Ontario

Charles Veale

Postby Charles Veale » 29 Oct 2022, 00:22

Georgetown, Ontario

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 29 Oct 2022, 15:03

Thanks for posting the link, Charles.

GG Mary Simon - CHA 2022.png

"Argent, an annulet over all a fess nowy Azure charged with the Royal Crown Argent." The crest is a snowy owl and caribou antlers. The supporters are Arctic foxes.

I see the St Edward's crown has been used, rather than the Tudor crown. I wonder if the arms were designed before the change of monarch, or has the new King of Canada not expressed a preference for the Tudor crown, as his alter ego the King of the UK has evidently done?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 03 Nov 2022, 09:43

Very interesting. So, we have a new shield shape, that is presumably for women, an intriguing depiction of moose antlers, as well as a lot of white. Those harpoons are also fascinating.

Iain Boyd

Postby Iain Boyd » 04 Nov 2022, 22:20

Any information as to why there is no helmet and mantling?

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 05 Nov 2022, 10:15

The CHA have provided quite a lot of info about the design, but don't seem to have mentioned why the helmet was omitted :
https://www.facebook.com/HeraldryHeraldique
https://www.gg.ca/en/governor-general/g ... /coat-arms .
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Return to “Canadian Heraldry”