Recent Canadian grants now online

Heraldry in Canada.
Arthur Radburn

Recent Canadian grants now online

Postby Arthur Radburn » 01 Jan 2022, 15:51

Best wishes to all for 2022.

To start the new year, a few recent Canadian grants, which are now available on the CHA's revamped website.

Chow - CHA 2021.jpg
Ronald Chow : as you might guess, he has Chinese ancestry and plays badminton. Not so obvious is that the embattled chief represents his "professional vocation as a doctor to protect his patients' health". Makes a nice change from rods of Aesculapius to represent the medical profession.

Gagnon - CHA 2021.jpg
Carl Gagnon : a winged unicorn representing creativity, a naval crown alluding to his naval career, a raven and compass rose representing (naval) intelligence. The artist has been creative, in showing the golden lining of the mantling reflected in the helmet.

Mann - CHA 2021.jpg
James H. Mann : allusions to "green technology", sun and moon, raising horses, and power. Cadet shields, differenced by means of bordures, were granted to his son and three daughters.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Mark Henderson

Re: Recent Canadian grants now online

Postby Mark Henderson » 01 Jan 2022, 19:26

I love Canadian heraldry for its creativity and imagination. Thank you for sharing these arms.
Regards,

Mark Anthony Henderson
IAAH Fellow : Former Design Assistance Request Team Artist

Ryan Shuflin

Re: Recent Canadian grants now online

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 30 Mar 2022, 19:14

I like that the Canadians put their grants online, don't always appreciate their creativity. Golden helms for example are traditionally reserved for sovereigns. I do think that the winged unicorn is a good symbol for creativity. The arms are very simple, but surprisingly I couldn't find one like it by googling. This made me wonder, how old really is the idea of the winged unicorn? It seems that unicorns and Pegasuses have sorta merged in modern depictions, as are seen iconic of mythical beasts. However, in the Middle Ages, they seem to be very rare in art.

Return to “Canadian Heraldry”