Caribbean heraldry

The Heraldry of the Americas
Arthur Radburn

Re: Caribbean heraldry

Postby Arthur Radburn » 01 May 2017, 17:02

Chris Green wrote:That Haiti, of all the Caribbean states, has no coat of arms seems very strange given that it once had its own peerage. Indeed the current Richmond Herald, Clive Cheesman has edited a book about it.
According to the Haitian Constitution, this device is a coat of arms : "les Armes de la Republique". Clearly the Haitian idea of a coat of arms does not necessarily require a shield.

At the time of the kingdom and the peerage, Haiti had a more conventional European-style coat of arms, depicting a phoenix. It's depicted on the cover of Clive Cheeseman's book.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 01 May 2017, 17:28

According to the Haitian Constitution, this device is a coat of arms : "les Armes de la Republique". Clearly the Haitian idea of a coat of arms does not necessarily require a shield.

The French "armes" does indeed mean coats of arms, but also means armaments. One might be forgiven for wondering if the motley display of equipment was not once the Haitian army's ordre de bataille entiere.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 02 May 2017, 19:14

Staying Francophone, these are the arms of the French island of Saint Barthelemy, approved circa 1978. The design indicates that the island has, at various times, been ruled by France, the Order of Malta, and Sweden. The indigenous name of the island, Ouanalao, appears on the motto scroll. St Barthelemy's status is now that of an overseas municipality, hence the mural crown.

Regards
Arthur Radburn

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 03 May 2017, 17:58

The British Overseas Territory of the Cayman Islands consist of three islands, Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac and Little Cayman, each represented in its arms by a molet vert fimbriated or.

Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 03 May 2017, 18:47

The Turks & Caicos Islands:

Apparently the green object with a red nose is a cactus.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 03 May 2017, 19:22

Chris Green wrote:Apparently the green object with a red nose is a cactus.
Specifically, a Turk's Head Cactus, after which the island was named.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 09 Jul 2017, 19:28

Arthur Radburn wrote:Staying Francophone, these are the arms of the French island of Saint Barthelemy, approved circa 1978. The design indicates that the island has, at various times, been ruled by France, the Order of Malta, and Sweden. The indigenous name of the island, Ouanalao, appears on the motto scroll. St Barthelemy's status is now that of an overseas municipality, hence the mural crown.

During Swedish time the Island was acctualy granted arms showing a Coral. Unfortunately I have no picture.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Postby Jeremy Keith Hammond » 26 Sep 2020, 18:30

I am actually moving to the Caribbean at the end of October, so this was a fun thread for me to revisit. Here are the arms of Vieques, an island municipality of Puerto Rico and my future home. It sits between Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. Supposedly the tower represents the island lighthouse, which was built in 1896. The US took control of the island in 1898 and I assume (perhaps unfairly) that the arms are Spanish in origin.
Last edited by Jeremy Keith Hammond on 26 Sep 2020, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy Keith Hammond, IAAH Fellow
Member since 2007

My website

Mark Henderson

Postby Mark Henderson » 26 Sep 2020, 18:36

Wait, you're moving to the Caribbean? Long term?
Regards,

Mark Anthony Henderson
IAAH Fellow : Former Design Assistance Request Team Artist

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Postby Jeremy Keith Hammond » 26 Sep 2020, 18:41

At least six months, with no specific plans to move back.
Jeremy Keith Hammond, IAAH Fellow
Member since 2007

My website

Return to “South/Middle American Heraldry”