Queen Beatrix is abdicating

The Heraldry of Belgium, The Netherlands and Luxembourg
Jonathan Webster

Re: Queen Beatrix is abdicating

Postby Jonathan Webster » 05 Feb 2013, 11:02

I was aware the Kings of Prussia and (later) German Emperors used the style 'Prince of Orange'
by agreement with the House of Orange-Nassau and owing to the fact that they were the senior-line descendents of the earlier Princes of Orange (but not agnatic descendents), and indeed they incorporated the arms of the Sovereign Principality (which had but now however been annexed to France) into the Greater version of their arms, but as far as I am aware the only title the current Head of the House of Hohenzollern uses is ' (Name), Prince of Prussia', all the other male members using the title ' Prince (Name) of Prussia' and all the female are ' Princess (Name) of Prussia's, and this has been the case since the grandfather of the current head, Georg Friedrich, became Head of the House. (the predecessors of the said grandfather, ex-kaiser Wilhelm II and his son, Crown Prince Wilhelm, used the titles they had used whilst the German Empire was still in existence, as they were entitled to by courtesy.)

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 13 Feb 2013, 23:06

It appears that they will replace the crown with a helmet and crest when the King ascends.

Ton de Witte

Postby Ton de Witte » 24 Mar 2013, 16:14

http://www.wapenschilder.nl/goudenleeuw/default.html

The links leeds to an online book about the arms of the royal family and their ancestors, also personal flags and more.
Ton de Witte
IAAH secretary

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 26 Mar 2013, 19:20

Thanks, it is nice. Reminds me of what I noticed in Delft. There is a switch from when the arms are encircled by the fleece to the garter, which coincides (sorta) with the break from Spain and Catholicism.

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 26 Apr 2013, 00:53

Can we expect to see any heraldry at the Abdication/Inauguration?

Ton de Witte

Postby Ton de Witte » 26 Apr 2013, 08:44

well I don't know if it will be riding by but I have seen a tram with the arms of all the provinces and the national arms on it.

you can see the design here : http://www.gvb.nl/reisinformatie/troons ... oorweb.pdf
Ton de Witte
IAAH secretary

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 26 Apr 2013, 09:23

What a wonderful idea - anyone with the fare (and a good few without I imagine) can get to ride in the "State Coach"!
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Ton de Witte

Postby Ton de Witte » 26 Apr 2013, 12:36

riding without a fare has been made more difficult over the last years. This model tram has conducters in the back and everyone has to put his smartcard on a detector which then gives a beep, so if someone walks trough without a beep they make him beep or buy a ticket ;) .
Ton de Witte
IAAH secretary

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 28 Apr 2013, 19:44

Thanks, I will keep a look out for it, you know, so it doesn't hit me.

Return to “Benelux Heraldry”