Forthcoming Belgian coronation/inauguration

The Heraldry of Belgium, The Netherlands and Luxembourg
Jonathan Webster

Re: Forthcoming Belgian coronation/inauguration

Postby Jonathan Webster » 22 Jul 2013, 02:22

Ton de Witte wrote:This is a very restraint occation in Belgium there is no crown etc, the new King takes an oath in parliment (in three languages) and that is basicly it. As it is the national holiday of Belgium there could be some heraldry I guess.

Interestingly enough an actual physical Crown has never existed for the Belgian monarch apart from on paper.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 22 Jul 2013, 18:29

Jonathan Webster wrote:
Ryan Shuflin wrote:Similar to their British counterparts, the Belgian Royal Family severed their ties to Germany in response to World War I, although I am not sure if they were excluded from the succession to the Ducal crown of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

According to the 1915 House Law of the Ducal House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, dynasts who fought against the German Empire were excluded from Succession to the Ducal throne, which was abolished soon afterwards anyway. So that excluded the Belgian and British Royal families, but not the Bulgarian or the recently deposed Portuguese Royal families.

Well it is intresting that the largely pro-russian Bulgaria (The Russians seen as liberators from the Ottoman Yoke) ended up figthing in both World Wars on the side against Russia. Albeit King Boris III wisely avoided sending Bulgarian Troops to joint the Attack on the Soviet Union in 1941 (for this and his independent standings, He was allegedly murdered by the Germans).

Portugal had become a Republic in 1910, and the insecure Republican Goverment sent a division sized contingent to fight on the Western Front with the Entente. This as a move to show strengh in order to make it more convincing internaly, as there was still quite a many royalists in Portugal at the time. There was of cause also the age old alliance between Portugal and Britain, who played its role.

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 23 Jul 2013, 02:41

Jonathan Webster wrote:
Ryan Shuflin wrote:Similar to their British counterparts, the Belgian Royal Family severed their ties to Germany in response to World War I, although I am not sure if they were excluded from the succession to the Ducal crown of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

According to the 1915 House Law of the Ducal House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, dynasts who fought against the German Empire were excluded from Succession to the Ducal throne, which was abolished soon afterwards anyway. So that excluded the Belgian and British Royal families, but not the Bulgarian or the recently deposed Portuguese Royal families.

You don't happen to know if there is a clause allowing them to be reinstated?

Jonathan Webster

Postby Jonathan Webster » 23 Jul 2013, 22:38

No; there wasn't. Bearing in mind the Duchy of Saxe-Coburg and Goth not longer exist, the point is pretty much moot anyway. :)

Return to “Benelux Heraldry”