heraldry on the central station in Amsterdam

The Heraldry of Belgium, The Netherlands and Luxembourg
Ton de Witte

Re: heraldry on the central station in Amsterdam

Postby Ton de Witte » 04 Dec 2013, 21:12

arms of the Netherlands on the station

note the the supporters are guardant and have royal crowns as has the lion in the shield. This was changed in 1907 the supporters became rampant and the crowns were removed, the lion on the shield got a simple crown
Ton de Witte
IAAH secretary

Ton de Witte

Postby Ton de Witte » 04 Dec 2013, 21:15

arms of King Willem III on the Royal pavilion which houses the Royal waiting room and a garage.

Ton de Witte
IAAH secretary

Ton de Witte

Postby Ton de Witte » 04 Dec 2013, 21:20

Also on the pavilion the combined arms of King Willem III and his wife Queen Emma (Waldeck-Pyrmont)

notice that while the crest of the king is turned inward the lion on the shield has not been turned which would be normal in these combinations of arms (courtoisie)
Ton de Witte
IAAH secretary

Ton de Witte

Postby Ton de Witte » 04 Dec 2013, 21:22

this statue stands on top of the pavilion

Ton de Witte
IAAH secretary

Chas Charles-Dunne

Postby Chas Charles-Dunne » 05 Dec 2013, 12:06

Ton de Witte wrote:this statue stands on top of the pavilion

Is that some kind of monogram in the iron scrollwork?
Regards
Chas
IAAH Fellow

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 05 Dec 2013, 12:10

Is it possible, some of the tinctures were changed? Either from restoration or corrosion?

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 05 Dec 2013, 12:17

Ton will correct me if I'm wrong but the whole frieze looks to me as if it is made from ceramic tiles. If so it is highly unlikely that they were painted over afterwards. Re-painting would hardly explain why just the anchors in the St Petersburg CoA are wrong. Also there are too many other errors (Vienna for example) which are not simply wrong tinctures.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Ton de Witte

Postby Ton de Witte » 05 Dec 2013, 13:03

I think Chris is right they are errors why and how ? I will start a little investigation into it but I do not expect to find much on it.

Chas: it could be a monogram, I have looked at it but can not really make out what the letters should be.

Well one thing I got wrong is the arms of Aachen they are in fact those of Frankfurt am Main which opens the possibility that that one has changed colour overtime like silver going black or that on the picture that was used as example the silver had already become black.
Ton de Witte
IAAH secretary

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 05 Dec 2013, 18:00

Ton de Witte wrote:I think Chris is right they are errors why and how ? I will start a little investigation into it but I do not expect to find much on it.

Chas: it could be a monogram, I have looked at it but can not really make out what the letters should be.

Well one thing I got wrong is the arms of Aachen they are in fact those of Frankfurt am Main which opens the possibility that that one has changed colour overtime like silver going black or that on the picture that was used as example the silver had already become black.

Frankfurt makes much more sense, although farther from Amsterdam, by the time CS was built it had long surpassed Aachen in importance.

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 05 Dec 2013, 18:57

Chris Green wrote:Sadly even the arms of Munich are wrong. The gold should be silver:

Das Wappen der Stadt München zeigt in Silber einen Mönch mit goldgeränderter schwarzer Kutte und roten Schuhen, in der Linken ein rotes Eidbuch haltend, die Rechte zum Schwur erhoben.

According to http://www.stadt-muenchen.net/geschicht ... wappen.php, from 1865 to 1936 and again from 1949 to 1957, the field of the Munich arms was gold. The original silver was restored in the latter year.

Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Return to “Benelux Heraldry”