Italian coat of arms?

The heraldry of Italy
Tomasz Steifer

Italian coat of arms?

Postby Tomasz Steifer » 18 Aug 2012, 07:13

Does anyone of Colleagues will be able to identify this CoA? Probably Italian, judging from the presentation of the mountains, and the bottle comes from Silesia.
Sorry about the picture quality.
regards

Tomasz Steifer
IAAH Fellow

Ryan Shuflin

Re: Italian coat of arms?

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 18 Aug 2012, 12:19

looks interesting, but I can't make out the charges

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 18 Aug 2012, 18:21

2nd and 3rd appears to be azure (if the lines are hatching) a fire-beacon (?) on a mount of six peaks/coupeaux (in French: un mont de six coupeaux; in Spanish: una montaña de seis picos; in German: ein Sechsberg; in Italian: un monte di sei cime). The fire-beacon identification is very "iffy". A beacon or lighthouse is logícal for a prominent place, the lines pointing down and diagonally might be rays emanating from the beacon, but is the central part a beacon or perhaps something else? Heraldic mountains are, not surprisingly, very common throughout continental Europe, both for municipal and personal arms. No less than 719 assorted mountains, some realistic, some heraldic (but few of six peaks) can be found on Wiki:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.ph ... gory-media

As to 1st and 4th I am completely mystified.

Could we have a better picture?
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Tomasz Steifer

Postby Tomasz Steifer » 19 Aug 2012, 04:09

Chris Green wrote:...

Could we have a better picture?

Unfortunately I do not have a better photo. But it would help a little. I kept this item in my hands, and unfortunately, drawing (engraving) was not very accurate. Some charges (box 1 and 4) can not be read at all.
regards

Tomasz Steifer
IAAH Fellow

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 19 Aug 2012, 14:51

I think Chris is correct re quarters II and III, that it's a fire-beacon on top of a mountain. I & IV look like a double-storeyed triumphal arch of some kind - the upper arch appears to have three triangles on top of the pediment, which is resting on two columns. The crest looks as though it might be a pair of wings issuing from a coronet.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 24 Aug 2012, 13:37

The crest looks like it has a human figure in the middle of the crest with rays emanating from his head.

Return to “Italian Heraldry”