Kotromanić Coat of Arm

The heraldry of the countries of the Balkans
Tomasz Steifer

Kotromanić Coat of Arm

Postby Tomasz Steifer » 16 Feb 2013, 19:18

On request descendant of the last king of Bosnia, I made arms of Kotromanić Dynasty, the soft goatling parchment, gilded with gold leaf.

And the same arms as my computer graphic
regards

Tomasz Steifer
IAAH Fellow

goran zajic

Re: Kotromanić Coat of Arm

Postby goran zajic » 18 Feb 2013, 09:00

This is the coat of arms of King of Serbs, Bosnia and the Seacoast and Western Parts.
Peacock feathers characteristic of Serbian dynasty Nemaljić. A display of peacock feathers say they were related to Nemanjic.

Kotromanics receive his crown at the council of Serbian nobility 1377th in the Mileseva after the death of Emperor Uros, when terminating the imperial title and awarded a royal crown Stefan Tvrtko as successor of dynasty Nemanjić.
God save, God feeds,
Serbian King, Serbian nation!

Tomasz Steifer

Postby Tomasz Steifer » 22 Feb 2013, 10:31

goran zajic wrote:This is the coat of arms of King of Serbs, Bosnia and the Seacoast and Western Parts.
Peacock feathers characteristic of Serbian dynasty Nemaljić. A display of peacock feathers say they were related to Nemanjic.

Kotromanics receive his crown at the council of Serbian nobility 1377th in the Mileseva after the death of Emperor Uros, when terminating the imperial title and awarded a royal crown Stefan Tvrtko as successor of dynasty Nemanjić.

Of course, you're right, such as the coat of arms used Bosnian kings of other dynasties.
Because I painted this coat of arms for the decscendant of the Kotromanic Dynasty, I have described it as a Kotromanić arms, which is a simplification.
Such a crest of peacock feathers also used Kotromanic family members too.
regards

Tomasz Steifer
IAAH Fellow

Andy Jamieson

Postby Andy Jamieson » 03 Apr 2013, 15:48

Interesting rendition. What medium do you use to lay the gold leaf on?

Tomasz Steifer

Postby Tomasz Steifer » 14 Apr 2013, 00:04

Andy Jamieson wrote:Interesting rendition. What medium do you use to lay the gold leaf on?

Thank you for your kind words.
Unfortunately, I was with real gold gilding problems. The last time I did it while studying at the Academy of Fine Arts, and so quite a long time ago :)
I tried first (as I've seen you do it?) Gold powder (Shell gold) but it was a very bad effekt, particularly badly looked after Burnishing with agate stone tool :(
Then I put the gold leaf on mixtion (acrylic), without polishing, and it worked much better. Of course, not as good as gold polished. Maybe in time I'll get to how better to do it on parchment.

It is produced by special mixtion (I'm not sure if correctly is english word mixtion?) from Koelner for manuscript iluminators, reportedly giving effect like polished gold. Have not tried.
regards

Tomasz Steifer
IAAH Fellow

Return to “Balkan Heraldry”