Arms of the Presidents of Romania

The heraldry of the countries of the Balkans
Jonathan Webster

Arms of the Presidents of Romania

Postby Jonathan Webster » 03 Jun 2014, 01:55

In line with similar threads regarding the Arms of the Presidents of various countries; does anyone know if any of the Presidents of Romania have been armigerous; either by inheritance or through membership in the Orders of the Elephant and/or the Seraphim?

Chris Green

Re: Arms of the Presidents of Romania

Postby Chris Green » 03 Jun 2014, 05:38

Ceaușescu received the Danish Order of the Elephant in 1980, but Queen Margareta of Denmark revoked the award on 23 December 1989. Ion Iliescu was given the same honour in 2004. Their CoAs would have been painted and hung in the chapel at Frederiksborg Castle. Ceaușescu's would presumably have been removed when he was stripped of the Order, so unless someone has a photo of it we shall be none the wiser. Iliescu's should however be there (I was at Frederiksborg quite recently, but his was not one of the plaques that attracted my interest). If, as is I think quite likely, he does not have personal arms, the State Arms of Romania (post-1992) would probably have been used.

In Ceaușescu's time the arms were typically Soviet.

The Danish Court's heraldic painter would have had to take tranquillisers before trying to render that one!
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Jonathan Webster

Postby Jonathan Webster » 03 Jun 2014, 16:42

Can't remember where I saw it; but I think I remember the stallplate for Ceausescu was painted, but was blank, with just his name and appointment to the order. No arms or emblem.

I know as regards President Iliescu, as regards the Order of the Elephant a Stallplate has indeed been painted, but I don't know what Arms are painted on it.

Jonathan Webster

Postby Jonathan Webster » 30 May 2020, 23:43

Okay so; bit of an update:

*Nicolae Ceausescu, the infamous communist dictator of Romania, President 1974-1989, as mentioned above, was a Knight of the Order of the Elephant (membership revoked in 1989). He did not bear arms either as a Knight of this order nor in any other manner.

*Ion Iliescu, President 1990-1996 and 2000-2004; as a Knight of the Order of the Seraphim, rather unimaginatively bears the National arms as used before on his stallplate. However as a Knight of the Order of the Elephant, he bears the Eagle and inescutcheon from the National arms on a field tierced per fess Azure, Or and Gules, i.e. the national colours, turned through 90 degrees. His motto in right of these arms is 'APPROARE DE OAMENE ÍMPERUNÂ CU EI' (Romanian: 'CLOSER TO THE PEOPLE, TOGETHER WITH THEM')

*Emil Constantinescu, President 1996-2000, there were two proposals for arms for him, I believe in respect to two different Orders of Chivalry. I will post some details on his proposed arms when I have more information. I do not believe either design has been adopted by him, at least not yet.

*Traian Băsescu, President 2004-2014: as a Knight of the Order of the Seraphim, again -yawn- uses the National Coat of arms of Romania as borne 1990-2016 (the present arms differ slightly in that the Eagle; that is, the main charge is now crowned with the Steel Crown of Romania, whereas before it was not.), In lieu of any personal arms.

*Klaus Iohannis, President 2014-present, does not seem to have assumed or have been granted arms in any respect yet.

Return to “Balkan Heraldry”