Dominion coronation standards

Heraldic flags such as banners, badge banners, standards, pennons, pincels ... Feel free to discuss and compare the flying heraldy used in any country here.
Arthur Radburn

Dominion coronation standards

Postby Arthur Radburn » 07 Jul 2013, 15:54

Related to the subject of UK coronations and the dominion symbols on the invitations and programmes ...

The dominions were also represented in the procession inside Westminster Abbey, in that the high commissioner of each carried a standard. They were illustrated in the 1953 coronation number of the Illustrated London News :

I must try and find out why South Africa opted to use her national flag rather a banner of her arms, as Canada, Australia and New Zealand had done.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

JMcMillan

Re: Dominion coronation standards

Postby JMcMillan » 07 Jul 2013, 19:09

Arthur Radburn wrote:I must try and find out why South Africa opted to use her national flag rather a banner of her arms, as Canada, Australia and New Zealand had done.

The question might be asked the other way around. Perhaps the national flags of Canada, Australia, and NZ were not thought to be sufficiently distinctive for the purpose, all being basically differenced versions of the British red and blue ensigns. Hanging straight down carried in a procession Australia and New Zealand would have been difficult to tell apart, and Canada's would have looked pretty much like the regimental color of a 2nd or higher numbered battalion of one of the regiments of Foot Guards .
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Arthur Radburn

Re: Dominion coronation standards

Postby Arthur Radburn » 08 Jul 2013, 09:48

JMcMillan wrote:The question might be asked the other way around. Perhaps the national flags of Canada, Australia, and NZ were not thought to be sufficiently distinctive for the purpose, all being basically differenced versions of the British red and blue ensigns.

A very good point. I intend to visit the National Library this week to see what I can find on the subject.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Return to “Flying Heraldry”