Proposed Flag for Planet Earth

Heraldic flags such as banners, badge banners, standards, pennons, pincels ... Feel free to discuss and compare the flying heraldy used in any country here.
Chris Green

Proposed Flag for Planet Earth

Postby Chris Green » 10 Jun 2015, 12:13

Oskar Pernefeldt, of Beckman's College of Design in Stockholm, has designed a flag to be used for international space missions and other events where a flag for the world, rather than any part of it or organisation, is intended to be represented.

http://www.flagofplanetearth.com/#intro-shift

Not an unattractive design in my view.

He provides a blazon (which I suspect is an English translation of the original Swedish):

Centered on an azure field, seven circles of silver interlaced, creating a flower.

Would anyone care to try a more heraldic blazon in English?

The Flagmakers Newsletter, where I found this link, asks the following pertinent questions: where and when would an Earth flag fly and is it necessary?

https://dub121.mail.live.com/?tid=cmcS2k_lsP5RGaNAAiZMJDTg2&fid=flinbox
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Arthur Radburn

Re: Proposed Flag for Planet Earth

Postby Arthur Radburn » 10 Jun 2015, 16:58

Chris Green wrote:He provides a blazon (which I suspect is an English translation of the original Swedish):

Centered on an azure field, seven circles of silver interlaced, creating a flower.

Would anyone care to try a more heraldic blazon in English?

I'd suggest describing the device as "seven annulets interlaced 2, 3 and 2 Argent" or as "a stylised flower formed by seven annulets interlaced 2, 3 and 2 Argent".

The annulets in the artwork are not interlaced consistently, though -- some are dexter over sinister, some are not. If that's intentional, it would need to be spelled out in the blazon, if it's not, then the artwork could be tweaked to make it consistent.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Return to “Flying Heraldry”