New Zealand Considers A New Flag

Heraldic flags such as banners, badge banners, standards, pennons, pincels ... Feel free to discuss and compare the flying heraldy used in any country here.
Michael F. McCartney

Re: New Zealand Considers A New Flag

Postby Michael F. McCartney » 01 Sep 2015, 07:18

The panel's selections may suggest a preference for the fern flags, it's possible that the koru (sp?) will win a plurality with the three fern flags dividing the fern vote, unless the voting process (which I haven't read yet) allows for a ranking of each voter's first, second, and third choices and tally more than once, each time dropping the choice with least first place votes and shifting each of those votes to their next favorite. Hope they have good computers!
Michael F. McCartney
Fremont, California

Iain Boyd

Postby Iain Boyd » 05 Sep 2015, 11:04

An interesting development has taken place.

A move is underway to have a new flag added to the first referendum (allowing for five flags to be considered) or replacing one of the final four choices with this new flag.

See https://nz.news.yahoo.com/top-stories/a/29444590/red-peak-flag-causes-stir/ for details.

Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd

Postby Iain Boyd » 06 Sep 2015, 06:49

Greetings all,

Further to my previous posting and the information provided by the link, there is further symbolism in the colours -

black, white and red are colours traditional to the Maori people while blue, white and red are colours associated with those of British origins.

Overall, this is becoming a better option.

Iain Boyd

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 06 Sep 2015, 07:20

Overall, this is becoming a better option.

It remains to be seen whether any of the options can defeat the present flag.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 20 Nov 2015, 06:24

New Zealand to decide which short-listed design should be pitted against its current flag.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-34876354
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 11 Dec 2015, 11:45

Here is the preliminary result of the NZ referendum. The winner will be pitted against the current NZ flag in a final referendum in March.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35059898
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Iain Boyd

Postby Iain Boyd » 11 Dec 2015, 21:56

I did not vote for either of the 'silver fern' designs, but, I am not entirely surprised with the results.

However, I did think the red, white and blue design would have come out on top. The red at the top of the hoist adds colour to the design and makes it stand out more.

Iain Boyd

Michael F. McCartney

Postby Michael F. McCartney » 13 Dec 2015, 04:28

Ditto Ian - the red-white-blue fern flag is IMO more visual striking, more unified (red appears on both sides of the fern), and three colors instead of four.

But of course I don't get to vote! ;)
Michael F. McCartney
Fremont, California

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 15 Dec 2015, 06:32

The silver fern with black plus the southern cross has been confirmed as the candidate to stand against the current flag in March.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35090641
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Iain Boyd

Postby Iain Boyd » 19 Dec 2015, 21:24

Recently, I have seen examples of the 'black corner' flag flying alongside the current national flag - to give voters the chance to compare both together.

I still prefer the 'red corner' version of the two, but, am now leaning towards an entirely blue flag (which, unfortunately, was not available for consideration) as the 'black corner' is not a strong enough contrast with the blue of the rest of the flag and simply disappears.

There is no information as to why the 'black corner' was more popular with voters than the 'red corner' version, but, I suspect that it may have something to do with our national sports teams - most of which include 'black' as part of their names.

What the result of the next referendum will be is anyone's guess.

However, as the 'black corner' flag is the alternative with only about a third of the first referendum votes, I would suggest that there will not be a change of national flag.

All the best,

Iain Boyd

Return to “Flying Heraldry”