IAAH Flag

Heraldic flags such as banners, badge banners, standards, pennons, pincels ... Feel free to discuss and compare the flying heraldy used in any country here.
Mark Henderson

IAAH Flag

Postby Mark Henderson » 05 Nov 2015, 02:13

I am sure to be the target of criticism, but I wanted to see what the IAAH arms would look as a flag.

Regards,

Mark Anthony Henderson
IAAH Fellow : Former Design Assistance Request Team Artist

Edward Hillenbrand

Re: IAAH Flag

Postby Edward Hillenbrand » 05 Nov 2015, 04:45

Where's our mouse?! Actually the flag looks very nice. I don't know if I would use the crown or the pen though.
Ed Hillenbrand

"Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori"

Armorial Register - International Register of Arm

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 05 Nov 2015, 06:13

Can anyone tell us who designed the CoA and crest?
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Ton de Witte

Postby Ton de Witte » 05 Nov 2015, 08:45

I think Steven B. Madewell the founder of the IAAH designed it with the then members. He certainly did the first rendition of the arms. The version of the arms on the website was painted by Alex Kurov.
Ton de Witte
IAAH secretary

Martin Goldstraw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Goldstraw » 05 Nov 2015, 11:49

The arms were indeed designed by Steven. He used to be a quite prolific contributor to the world of heraldry on the world wide web and after he stepped down he continued to have a strong web presence for quite a while and even started a sort of new version of the AAH which lasted a short while before disappearing with everything else he had on-line. His entire web presence seemed to be on the free pages provided by ancestry dot com and they have all now disappeared.

Anyway, to return to the point, the reason I just attempted to do a search for him was that I have a vague recollection that his own assumed arms were similar to those of Winnington.

Martin Goldstraw
Cheshire Heraldry
http://cheshire-heraldry.org.uk

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 05 Nov 2015, 12:26

Mark, the banner of the arms looks very nice. A real one flapping gently in the breeze would be very eye-catching.

The process of designing and choosing the arms was discussed on rec.heraldry at the time :
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searc ... cW4KTi5j0J

(I also see from rec-heraldry that the AAH, as it was originally called, was founded on 9 October 1999, so we've just passed our 16th anniversary, a few weeks ago.)

Martin Goldstraw wrote:Anyway, to return to the point, the reason I just attempted to do a search for him was that I have a vague recollection that his own assumed arms were similar to those of Winnington.

Indeed they are. In his arms, the field is Or, the birds are Azure, and the inescutcheon is Gules charged with a coronet Or.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Martin Goldstraw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Goldstraw » 05 Nov 2015, 12:41

One of the remnants of Steven's alternative Association after he left us.

(It is a harmless recording file)

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~heraldry/aah-welmb.mp3

This is all that remains of his on-line presence:

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~heraldry/
Martin Goldstraw
Cheshire Heraldry
http://cheshire-heraldry.org.uk

Mike_Oettle

Postby Mike_Oettle » 05 Nov 2015, 16:25

A very nice rendition, Mark.
A small quibble, though, assuming that someone is actually going to make a flag for hoisting, as opposed to a PNG image: if it is to be hoisted alongside other conventional flags, its format is right. But to have a more armorial appearance, it would need to be vertical, rather than horizontal.
And a further suggestion: how about a standard or pennon showing the mouse with his paintbrush?

The last I heard from Steven, he had closed down all (or almost all) his web pages and seemed very depressed. He was still in the US, but was awaiting an opportunity to join his Filipina wife and their children in the Philippines.
He told me he had cut his ties with heraldry completely.
I recall that he also devised a tartan for his family, and registered it in Edinburgh.
The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
[Proverbs 14:27]

Mark Henderson

Postby Mark Henderson » 06 Nov 2015, 00:45

[quote="Arthur Radburn"]Mark, the banner of the arms looks very nice. A real one flapping gently in the breeze would be very eye-catching.

The process of designing and choosing the arms was discussed on rec.heraldry at the time :
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searc ... cW4KTi5j0J

(I also see from rec-heraldry that the AAH, as it was originally called, was founded on 9 October 1999, so we've just passed our 16th anniversary, a few weeks ago.)

Arthur, thanks for the link.
Regards,

Mark Anthony Henderson
IAAH Fellow : Former Design Assistance Request Team Artist

Michael F. McCartney

Postby Michael F. McCartney » 07 Nov 2015, 21:02

Mark -- at the risk of revealing myself as a clueless rube (assuming that's in any doubt! ;) ) is your initial posting in this thread a real flag or a computer- generated image? And if the latter, how is it done?
Michael F. McCartney
Fremont, California

Return to “Flying Heraldry”