Arms of the Presidents of South Africa

Heraldry in Africa
Arthur Radburn

Re: Arms of the Presidents of South Africa

Postby Arthur Radburn » 16 Feb 2015, 08:56

Hi Mike - welcome back.

You're quite right, of course, that the Viljoen family association was allowed to register arms based on the unproven ones published by Theunissen, but that was in 1974, before the Heraldry Council made its decision. According to the record, the certificate (no 674) was held back pending the receipt of the family association's constitution, so when it was actually issued is unclear.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Mike_Oettle

Postby Mike_Oettle » 16 Feb 2015, 18:58

Hi, Arthur.
Prof H Christo Viljoen gave me the background of the familiebond’s application. He was chairman of the association when the application was made, and pressed for the registration.
However, after the council permitted registration of the arms (with the chief argent), another chairman took over who was not at all interested in getting any coat of arms registered.
However, in the past few years Christo registered his own version of these arms incorporating three oak sprigs in chief (I did have an image of this, but cannot lay hands on it right now).
Regards,
Mike
The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
[Proverbs 14:27]

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 17 Feb 2015, 11:47

Hi Mike

I'd forgotten about Prof Viljoen's personal registration, of which I do have an image -- he changed the chief to Vert. IIRC, it was gazetted in the same gazette as your registration.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Return to “African Heraldry”