The National Arms of Burkina Faso

Heraldry in Africa
Jonathan Webster

The National Arms of Burkina Faso

Postby Jonathan Webster » 10 Sep 2013, 02:32

Not sure where to put this exactly, but here goes:

How would I blazon these Arms (yes, I know they're terrible, but that's not the point)?

I have already blazoned it as: "Argent, two horses combatant forcene Argent, in saltire two spears sable, on an inescutcheon per fess gules and vert, a mullet of five points Or, and in chief a ribbon Argent bearing the words 'Burkina Faso' in letters Or, and in base a like ribbon bearing the words 'Unité, Progrès, Justice' , likewise in letters Gold, and an open book proper between ears of corn, also proper, issuant from the ribbon.", but I'm unsure as to whether this is right.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Chris Green

Re: The National Arms of Burkina Faso

Postby Chris Green » 10 Sep 2013, 05:25

I don't think any account should be taken of the white "shield" on which the achievement sits. Surely the "inescutcheon" is actually the arms and the horses are supporters. What looks like a motto is indeed a motto and the ears of wheat simply decoration. The spears in saltire and the book might be compared to the crossed batons of the English Earl Marshal - intrinsic to the achievement but not part of the shield. There are many examples of this among Swedish Government bodies:

(Swedish Defence Materiel Administration)
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Arthur Radburn

Re: The National Arms of Burkina Faso

Postby Arthur Radburn » 10 Sep 2013, 09:59

I'm with Chris : treat the white shield as simply a background and not part of the arms themselves. The arms would then be : Per fess Gules and Vert, a mullet Or. Behind the shield are two spears in saltire.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Return to “African Heraldry”