Some Norwegian Military Heraldry

Heraldry of the armies, navies and airforces of the world
Marcus Karlsson

Re: Some Norwegian Military Heraldry

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 14 Apr 2014, 16:29

Your second guess is on the spot Chris. A Budstikke or in Swedish Budkavle is a form of Stick/Baton.

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 22 Apr 2014, 16:31

Chris Green wrote:On reflection I would surmise that a budstikke is best translated as a message stick or message baton. In Swedish, and I guess in Norwegian too, bud can mean order, message or messenger. Just a guess but stikke might be translated as stick or baton. Marcus' description of its use suggests that a bud (messenger) was dispatched from place to place to call the countryside to arms. His budstikke was proof that his message was genuine, and it could be passed to someone else when the first man was too tired to continue, just like passing the baton in a relay race.

I think it was translated as fiery cross because Scottish chiefs have used burning crosses to rally their men in a similar fashion. This illustrates the difficulties in translating blazons, as an artist could have drawn a cross on fire.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 08 Feb 2016, 19:12

Combat Squadron a combined Tank/Mechanized unit acting as a Training Formation for the Army Tactical Training School.

Return to “Military Heraldry”