Some Modern South African Army Heraldry

Heraldry of the armies, navies and airforces of the world
Arthur Radburn

Re: Some Modern South African Army Herladry

Postby Arthur Radburn » 23 Jan 2013, 17:51

Marcus Karlsson wrote:Image11 Field Postal Unit which also is part of the Signals Formation.

By way of a historical note : this is the post-1979 version of the arms. The earlier version was tierced per fess Gules [Army], Bleu Céleste [Air Force] and Azure [Navy], with the embowed lozenge in the centre. After the SA Medical Service was raised to equal status with the three older services in 1979, the arms were changed to 'per saltire' to accommodate a Murrey segment for the SAMS. The embowed lozenge was probably derived from the logo used by the Post Office in those days.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 23 Jan 2013, 19:29

I couldn't help smiling when I saw the 1st Military Printing Regiment. I am trying to imagine a squadron of armoured printing presses or photocopiers .... but no my imagination just won't stretch that far.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 23 Jan 2013, 20:38

Arthur Radburn wrote:
Marcus Karlsson wrote:Image11 Field Postal Unit which also is part of the Signals Formation.

By way of a historical note : this is the post-1979 version of the arms. The earlier version was tierced per fess Gules [Army], Bleu Céleste [Air Force] and Azure [Navy], with the embowed lozenge in the centre. After the SA Medical Service was raised to equal status with the three older services in 1979, the arms were changed to 'per saltire' to accommodate a Murrey segment for the SAMS. The embowed lozenge was probably derived from the logo used by the Post Office in those days.

Thanks Arthur for this information. I have Mike Evert's Shoulder Flashes of South African Military Forces where both versions are shown (sadly only in black and white with no blason to go with it).

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 23 Jan 2013, 20:42

Chris Green wrote:I couldn't help smiling when I saw the 1st Military Printing Regiment. I am trying to imagine a squadron of armoured printing presses or photocopiers .... but no my imagination just won't stretch that far.

1st Armoured Printing Squadron present Photo Copies!

Haha enough with the jokes, I guess this unit deals with producing all the Paper Work a Modern Army seems to run on, like various Regulations.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 23 Mar 2013, 15:04

Arms of the Support Formation,to which amongst others the following units belongs:

SA Army Joint Support Base Garrison, Thaba Tshwane in Pretoria.

Army Support Base (ASB) Eastern Cape, Port Elizabeth.

ASB Limpopo, Polokwane.

102 Field Workshop, Potchefstroom.

Return to “Military Heraldry”