Portuguese Air Force Heraldry

Heraldry of the armies, navies and airforces of the world
Jeremy Kudlick

Re: Portuguese Air Force Heraldry

Postby Jeremy Kudlick » 08 Feb 2014, 19:00

Chris Green wrote:I believe the instrument is intended to be a french horn (or trompa francesa in Portuguese). It is however unusual in that the mouthpiece end is inside rather than outside the circular tube. I can find no image on Google of a horn that matches it. Perhaps it is unique to Portugal, or perhaps the heraldic artist had no access to the real thing (but then why would the Portuguese Air Force accept the design?).

It looks more like a sousaphone to me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sousaphone
Jeremy Kudlick
IAAH Associate Fellow
Semper Patriam Servire Praesto

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 08 Feb 2014, 19:02

Chris Green wrote:I believe the instrument is intended to be a french horn (or trompa francesa in Portuguese). It is however unusual in that the mouthpiece end is inside rather than outside the circular tube. I can find no image on Google of a horn that matches it. Perhaps it is unique to Portugal, or perhaps the heraldic artist had no access to the real thing (but then why would the Portuguese Air Force accept the design?).

The blason on the Portugese Air Force site reads "Franchado de azul e ouro, um sousafone de prata." So the instrument is a Sousaphone named for the American Composer, Dirigent and leader of US Marine Corps Band 1880-92 John Philip Sousa (1854-1932).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sousaphone

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 08 Feb 2014, 19:04

So you where quite right there Jeremy.

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 08 Feb 2014, 19:45

Marcus Karlsson wrote:The blason on the Portugese Air Force site reads "Franchado de azul e ouro, um sousafone de prata." So the instrument is a Sousaphone named for the American Composer, Dirigent and leader of US Marine Corps Band 1880-92 John Philip Sousa (1854-1932).

John Philip Sousa was the son of a Portuguese immigrant to the United States, which may be why the instrument named for him was chosen for the arms.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 08 Feb 2014, 20:15

So it's a sousaphone. It still looks odd to me. Compare the image with any of these:

http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/sousaphone/Interesting
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 14 Apr 2014, 16:46

Well but anyhow that is how the Artist have interpreted the blazon.

So some new Arms:

Commander of the Transit Aerodrome No1 Lisbon-Sacévem. In the Chief the Tower of Belem a Landmark of Lisbon.

Arms of the Director of the Air Force Newspaper "Mais Alto".
Last edited by Marcus Karlsson on 28 Jul 2014, 12:09, edited 1 time in total.

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 14 Apr 2014, 23:36

Marcus Karlsson wrote:Commander of the Transit Aerodrome No1 Lisbon-Sacévem. In the Chief the Tower of Belem a Landmark of Lisbon.

Not just a landmark, but the historic fortification on the banks of the Tagus that was the landmark for Portuguese sailors returning from their voyages of discovery. Therefore very appropriate for a transportation squadron.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 17 Apr 2014, 10:34

Yes you are right there Joseph, I was a bit modest in declaring it just a Landmark ;)

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 20 Apr 2016, 18:59

A rather awful depcition of the full arms (and this is the official one shown on the Air Force's official site) of the Air Command:

Well the Shield and Standards are not that bad but in combination with the curious depiction of the Supporters and Compartment make up a rather unpleasant picture. Which is obviously cumputer generated by the look of the Compartment.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 20 Apr 2016, 19:04

The emblazonment is indeed rubbish, but a talented heraldic artist could do wonders with this achievement.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Return to “Military Heraldry”