Swedish Military Heraldry a glimpse.

Heraldry of the armies, navies and airforces of the world
Marcus Karlsson

Swedish Military Heraldry a glimpse.

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 27 May 2013, 17:41

As can be seen in the flying Heraldry Section the Swedish Military early on used Heraldic Arms on Colours, Standards and Guidons. Regular Heraldic Arms where however not adopted until the last 20th Century. And i must say that here a oportunity for heraldic inovation was lost as it was decided to use the Provincial or other territorial Arms for each Regiment or other unit sharing the same territorial designation. Thus we got a series of arms where the individual Unit was only recognized by the Arms or Service Symbol placed behind the Shield, such as Two muskets in saltire for Infantry or two Gun Barrels in saltire for Artillery. Joint Armed Forces Units placed their Arms upon a Sword erect. Air Force units added a chief with a twobladed winged propeller (the Emblem of the Air Force). Arms of naval Units other than Coastal Artillery Regiments which placed their Arms upon two Gunbarrels in saltire resting on waves bearing a flaming grenade, has no special external ornaments exept for the Royal Crown ensigning all Armed Forces Units' Arms. There are of cause some execption form this creating some pleasing Arms.

The Armed Forces as a whole uses the Lesser Arms of Sweden placed on the Sword signifying a Joint Command.

Arms of the Headquarters, note Crossed Batons behind the shield.

Armed Forces Logistics, uses the Horse of Odin Sleipner.

Staff of Operations, Joint Forces Command. The Command Baton symbolising leadership and the Sword the Military Forces commaded.

Marcus Karlsson

Re: Swedish Military Heraldry a glimpse.

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 27 May 2013, 17:50

Arms of the Artillery Regiment.

Arms of the Anti Aircraft Artillery Regiment.

Arms of the Command Regiment (formerly The Signal Regiment hence the Lightning flashes).

All three Regiments uses the Three Crowns from the Swedish lesser Arms symbolising a countrywide area of reponsibility. Arms similary to that of the Artillery Regiment was used by the Svea Artillery Regiment (A 1 or 1st Artillery Regiment) which was disbanded in 1997.

Arms of the Train Regiment. In the Arms the Wheel and Swords that is the symbol of the Army Train Troops. Behind the shiled the Joint Forces sword as the Regiment now also supports the Air Force and the Navy. It is made Argent which was the metal of the Army Train Troops.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 27 May 2013, 18:30

Arms of P 2 Scanian Dragoon Regiment 1977-94 and of the Scanian Dragoon Brigade (Armoured/Mechanized Brigade 8) 1994-2000. The Griffin's Head is taken from the Arms of Scania but with tincture changed. The Standards behind the shield symbolises P 2's role as tradition presever for all the Scanian Cavalry Regiments - The Crownprinces' Hussars, The (older) Scanian Dragoon Regiment and the Scanian Hussar Regiment.

Arms of P 4 Skaraborg Regiment. The Arms of Västergötland of which the former County of Skaraborg formed Part with the Armed Arms holding swords used by all Armoured Units other than P 2.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 27 May 2013, 19:58

I shall be present at the inauguration on Saturday 1 June of "Brigadmuseet" here in Karlstad, to be opened by HKH Prince Carl Philip, Duke of Värmland. Karlstad was home of Värmlands Brigaden (IB2) and of Värmlands Regemente (I2). The museum has been built to explain Sweden's army's role during the Cold War and I have had a lot of fun translating all the explanatory signs and posters into English.

Perhaps Marcus can show us the arms and banners of IB2 and I2.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 27 May 2013, 22:22

Chris Green wrote:I shall be present at the inauguration on Saturday 1 June of "Brigadmuseet" here in Karlstad, to be opened by HKH Prince Carl Philip, Duke of Värmland. Karlstad was home of Värmlands Brigaden (IB2) and of Värmlands Regemente (I2). The museum has been built to explain Sweden's army's role during the Cold War and I have had a lot of fun translating all the explanatory signs and posters into English.

Perhaps Marcus can show us the arms and banners of IB2 and I2.

Interesting, and of cause I can show the Colours and Arms of the Regiment and the Brigade. The Colours will be shown in the Flying Heraldy section.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 27 May 2013, 22:57

I will return with the I2 Arms tomorrow, until then the Arms of the Life Guards:

The Musket and Sabre symbolises both infantry and Cavalry origins of this Unit. The Chain of the Order of the Seraphim is a special privillege for Guards Units. It was used by the Svea Lifeguards (I1) and by the Lifeguards Dragoons (K1) which where mergered to form the Life Guards. Also the Göta Livgarde (P1) disbanded in 1980 used the chain.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 28 May 2013, 22:03

Here you can see the Arms of the Värmland Regiment. Here the Eagle is Azure as oposite to the Sable Eagle on the Colours of the Regiment. The Regiment used the Arms with Muskets in saltire 1977-1994. It was then used by the Värmland Brigade until its disbandment in 2000. From 1995 until disbandment in 2000 the Regiment used similar Arms but the Muskets was replaced by two Swords in saltire Or. The Arms with the Swords was then inherited by the Värmland Section of the home Guard, which in turn was disbanded in 2004. From 1979 the following motto was reinstated Cum Deo et victricibus armis = With God and victorious Arms. In had been carried on Regimental Colours in 1658.

http://www.wermlandsheraldik.se/militaria/i2.htm

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 20 Jun 2013, 15:14

Arms of K 3 Livregementets husarer (3rd Cavalry Regiment - Hussars of the Liferegiment). The Straw wreath symbolises the Regiment's important role in the Battle of Lund in 1676. The Swedish Forces in this Battle carried a Pice of Straw in their Hats as a distinguishing symbol.

Arms of the Ground Combat School. The Laurel Wreath denotes a School Unit.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 20 Jun 2013, 15:28

Any particular reason for the Hussars' round shield?
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 20 Jun 2013, 18:36

Chris Green wrote:Any particular reason for the Hussars' round shield?

I'am not sure why the round shield has been choosen in this case.

Return to “Military Heraldry”