Gray in U.S. Military Heraldry

Heraldry of the armies, navies and airforces of the world
JMcMillan

Gray in U.S. Military Heraldry

Postby JMcMillan » 15 Sep 2013, 20:40

In the thread on the coat of arms for computer geeks, Chris Green wrote:

Is the "gray" tincture intended? Gray is virtually only used by the US military heraldry people. It should be considered a colour rather than a metal, though I suspect it is considered to represent alumin(i)um.

Not wanting to hijack that thread, I thought it might be useful to clarify the use of gray in American military heraldry.

First, we need to distinguish between coats of arms and other devices. Regiments and battalions of the army, and units/formations of group size and above in the air force have coats of arms which are ordinarily supposed to conform to traditional heraldic principles. Patches, pins, etc. of divisions, brigades, commands, air force squadrons, and so on, are not bound by the same rules. The insignia of the 1st Infantry Division--a red Arabic numeral 1 on a olive drab background--is a case in point. No apologies for these--they're not arms and don't pretend to be.

The Navy is a law unto itself, even though it sometimes engages the Army Institute of Heraldry in designing ships' arms to a greater or lesser degree.

I. Silver Gray

The vast majority of appearances of "gray" in blazons of American military arms are in conjunction with the word "silver," i.e., "silver gray."

There are generally two reasons for saying "silver gray" instead of merely "argent." One is that blazons by the Institute of Heraldry (an Army organization, but one which is in charge of the production and procurement of heraldic items for all the services) are used to produce actual uniform items. Unlike heraldry in the wider world, this means that TIOH does not intend there to be any artistic license on how tinctures are represented; if they want the argent charge on the coat of arms to be represented as pale gray and not white or metallic silver, they often specify "silver gray," sometimes in conjunction with argent--"three mullets argent (silver-gray)."

The other reason for specifying "silver gray" in Army heraldry is that unit arms in the Army usually, although not always, make reference to the facing colors of the branch to which the unit belongs. Like facing and livery colors in Britain and elsewhere, these colors have never been constrained to the traditional heraldic palette. Just as British regiments have had facings in such colors as buff, orange, rifle green, bottle green, gosling green, pea green, and blue-green, U.S. Army branches have facing colors that include non-heraldic tinctures (such as buff) as well as specific shades of heraldic tinctures (dark blue, scarlet, jungle green, etc.). Silver gray comes into this as the main facing color of the Finance Corps (with golden yellow piping) and the piping color of military intelligence (with oriental blue facings) and psychological operations (with bottle green facings). In Finance Corps arms, silver gray is treated as a color, with Or as the metal; in MI and PSYOPS, silver gray is treated as a metal.

In the Air Force, "silver gray" is simply a specific shade of Argent and always used as a metal.

II. Gray as a more specific term for "proper"

Again, given that TIOH blazons are prepared for the purpose of producing standardized physical objects (uniform badges and patches, regimental and battalion flags, etc.), TIOH generally doesn't blazon things simply as "proper," since that leaves it up to the discretion of the manufacturer to decide what the natural color of something is. Accordingly, if a ship or a horse or a masonry wall is supposed to be gray, it is blazoned as such.

This is, as far as I can tell, much the same way that Eisengrau and Aschfarben are used in German heraldry and acier and cendreein French heraldry.

III. Gray as an additional tincture for fields and ordinaries.

This is rather rare in U.S. Army and Air Force heraldry, as far as I am aware. When it appears it is usually a reference to a National Guard regiment's lineage from a unit of the Confederate service. This is the case with about a dozen units or so. Other than that, the only cases I know of are the 258th Field Artillery (Gules two bars and in chief three mullets gray fimbriated Or) as an allusion the unit's historic designation, "Washington Grays," a couple of units that served with the 29th Infantry ("Blue and Gray") Division in WWII, and the 429th Support Battalion (Quarterly Azure and Gray a spear palewise issuant from base Argent surmounted by a fer de moline Or voided Gules), for which I see no particularly good excuse.

I hope that clarifies things.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Chris Green

Re: Gray in U.S. Military Heraldry

Postby Chris Green » 16 Sep 2013, 07:04

Thank you for that useful explanation Joseph. I deduce that gray is usually considered a colo(u)r rather than a metal. Would that be correct?
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 16 Sep 2013, 13:15

Chris Green wrote:Thank you for that useful explanation Joseph. I deduce that gray is usually considered a colo(u)r rather than a metal. Would that be correct?

In cases II and III, yes. "Silver-gray" is generally treated as a metal, even (contrary to my original statement) in the arms of finance battalions, even when it causes a metal-on-metal tincture violation.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Edward Hillenbrand

Postby Edward Hillenbrand » 16 Sep 2013, 13:51

No worries about "hijacking" a thread; I find this is discussion interesting. What is more I followed up with the the American's Army use of argent: for the medical corps they are intending argent to be depicted as white. What is more annoying to (for me at least) is that the army changed the traditional medical colors for emerald green and gold to Sanguine and Argent. Even the American Council on Education agrees that medicine's color is green! : ( They did that in 1895 & reaffirmed it in 1932.

Sigh.

This is why the US NEEDS an heraldic authority!
Ed Hillenbrand

"Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori"

Armorial Register - International Register of Arm

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 16 Sep 2013, 18:20

Edward Hillenbrand wrote:No worries about "hijacking" a thread; I find this is discussion interesting. What is more I followed up with the the American's Army use of argent: for the medical corps they are intending argent to be depicted as white. What is more annoying to (for me at least) is that the army changed the traditional medical colors for emerald green and gold to Sanguine and Argent. Even the American Council on Education agrees that medicine's color is green! : ( They did that in 1895 & reaffirmed it in 1932.

Sigh.

This is why the US NEEDS an heraldic authority!

For these (military) purposes it has one: the Institute of Heraldry.

And not everyone necessarily agrees that medicine's natural color is green. For example, medical officers in the Royal Navy wear red distinction cloth between their rank stripes. Medical troops in the German Bundeswehr wear dark blue facings.

There are lots of places where the ACE colors for academic fields don't correspond to U.S. Army branch colors. The hoods and gowns of doctors of engineering are faced with orange velvet; U.S. Army engineers have scarlet piped with white. Law graduates wear purple on their gowns and hoods; Army JAGs wear dark blue piped with silver. So what?
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Edward Hillenbrand

Postby Edward Hillenbrand » 16 Sep 2013, 21:30

[quote=For these (military) purposes it has one: the Institute of Heraldry.

And not everyone necessarily agrees that medicine's natural color is green. For example, medical officers in the Royal Navy wear red distinction cloth between their rank stripes. Medical troops in the German Bundeswehr wear dark blue facings.

There are lots of places where the ACE colors for academic fields don't correspond to U.S. Army branch colors. The hoods and gowns of doctors of engineering are faced with orange velvet; U.S. Army engineers have scarlet piped with white. Law graduates wear purple on their gowns and hoods; Army JAGs wear dark blue piped with silver. So what?[/quote]

And that is why we have heraldry - to communicate in one standard form across boarders. Yet in the US we can't even agree to a simple thing such as one or two colors for a service. In the US we all know that the "Thin Blue Line" refers to police. What about Emergency Medical Services? The "Thin White Line"? Green line? What about fire based EMS? And don't get started on what to call the folks on the ambulance! Just don't call us late for dinner! Or ambulance drivers. That is bad, Very, very bad.
Ed Hillenbrand

"Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori"

Armorial Register - International Register of Arm

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 16 Sep 2013, 21:54

Edward Hillenbrand wrote:And that is why we have heraldry - to communicate in one standard form across boarders.

Uh, no, it's not.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Jonathan Webster

Postby Jonathan Webster » 17 Sep 2013, 00:15

JMcMillan wrote:
Edward Hillenbrand wrote:And that is why we have heraldry - to communicate in one standard form across boarders.

Uh, no, it's not.

Agreed. Heraldry-even on a fundamental level-is absolutely not a uniform thing world-wide, even in places that are geographically quite close. For example, American and Canadian heraldry are very different, as is the Heraldry of Britain compared to Ireland or France. The Heraldry found in the German-speaking countries and Scandinavia is wholly different to that of Italy, and the Heraldry found in Poland is completely different from any other, as is the heraldry found in Hungary, and as is that found in Russia. And so on.

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 17 Sep 2013, 10:07

I'd agree that the form, i.e. the shield, with or without helmet, crest, supporters etc, transcends international borders. But the symbolism doesn't, or not to the same extent. What heraldry communicates is identity, and that means a high degree of individuality.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Jonathan Webster

Postby Jonathan Webster » 17 Sep 2013, 10:43

I'd agree as well that, worldwide; the basic colours and metals (i.e. Gules, Azure, Vert, Sable and Purpure, and Or and Argent.), but even that is not completely universal: in Poland, for example, whilst the other colours exist, the prevalence of Gules and Azure, and particularly Gules, and notably amongst the Arms of various Herby clans, is so widespread that the use of the other colours is almost negligible.

Return to “Military Heraldry”