Arms of the School of Arms (Portuguese Army)

Heraldry of the armies, navies and airforces of the world
Marcus Karlsson

Arms of the School of Arms (Portuguese Army)

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 21 Jan 2014, 10:29

Following restruction of the Schools of the Portugese Army last year, the School of Arms was created 1 October 2013 by merging the Infantry Practical School, the Cavalry Practical School, the Artillery Practical School, the Engineer Practical School, the Signal Practical School and the Military Center for Physical Education. New Arms was created for the new School, as seen below.

The Lamp is a educational symbol and did feature in many of the former School's Arms. The Shields in Chief denotes the former Schools now united into one. The Lion is from teh Arms of the Portugese Army and its holding a book for education and a sword for the military part of the school.

Picture from the official Portuguese Army Webb site http://www.exercito.pt/

Edward Hillenbrand

Re: Arms of the School of Arms (Portuguese Army)

Postby Edward Hillenbrand » 21 Jan 2014, 13:39

I wonder how their branches like the merged schools. I hear from my sources that the US Navy hates having merged their corpsman school with the army's medic school since US Navy Corpsman do so much more than a medic before they go off to their respective advanced courses.
Ed Hillenbrand

"Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori"

Armorial Register - International Register of Arm

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 21 Jan 2014, 15:02

The Portuguese Navy doesn't anything approaching the blue-water responsibilities of the USN which has the equivalent of several fully-equipped hospitals afloat.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 21 Jan 2014, 18:36

Indeed that is correct Chris, but I don't think that was the point made by Edward here. His example was just of what can happen if you merges Schools. Well I don't know how the various branches of the Portugese Army likes haveing merged their Schools. But my guess is that there are some Starting up problems.

Iain Boyd

Postby Iain Boyd » 21 Jan 2014, 21:17

Dear Marcus,

Do you have pictures of the arms of the original schools that you can display?

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 22 Jan 2014, 11:33

Yes from the official Portuguese Army Webb site:

The Practical Infantry School. The Crossbow symbolises Infantry and the Books the Education. The Crest alludes to the "Patron" of the Portuguese Infantry the Conetable D. Nuno Alvares de Pereira. The Motto reads: Ad unum.

The Practial Artillery School, symbolises Artillery and Education. The Motto reads: Mais afinando a fama portuguesa.

The Practical Cavalry School. Swords and Spurs symbolises Cavalry. The Book is an Educational symbol. The Elephant with Tower symbolises the Surveillance role of the Cavalry and also i guess the Modern Armoured role of the Cavalry. The Horse in the Crest alludes to the old Horsemounted Cavalry. The Battle Cry above the shield reads: Ao gálope ... á carga! and the Motto: Mens agitat molem.

All three of these Shields are surrunded by the Collar of the Order of the Tower and Sword.
Last edited by Marcus Karlsson on 22 Jan 2014, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 22 Jan 2014, 11:47

The Practical Engineer School. Sable is the Colour of the Engineer Troops, the Tower is also an Engineer symbol. The Wavy Fess denotes the River Tejo, the School beeing located in it's vicinity. The Lamps symbolises Education. The Owl in the Crest is a symbol of wisdom. On the Scroll the Motto: Ubique ducere et pugnare. The Shield is surrunded by the collar of the Order of Santiago.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 22 Jan 2014, 12:04

Arms of the Military Center for Physical Education. The Laurel wreath symbolises Honour and immortality. The Lamps symbolises training in Physical Education and Riding. The Later also is shown by the Crest. The Motto reads: Corpus mentis servus.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 22 Jan 2014, 13:14

"Corpus mentis servus" = "The body is the servant of the mind".
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Return to “Military Heraldry”