Seebataillon of the German Navy

Heraldry of the armies, navies and airforces of the world
Marcus Karlsson

Seebataillon of the German Navy

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 09 Sep 2015, 17:59

The Modern Day Seebataillon (Sea Battalion) of the German Navy was raised 1 April 2014. Sea Battalions did exist during the Imperial Times before 1918, but this is a new creation based at Eckernförde in Schleswig-Holstein it groups together the Naval Protection Forces, The Boarding Company of the German Navy and the Mine Clearance Divers. The Battalion has the following Coat of Arms.

Last edited by Marcus Karlsson on 16 Sep 2015, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.

Mike_Oettle

Re: Seebataillon of the German Navy

Postby Mike_Oettle » 13 Sep 2015, 18:39

Marcus, do you have any information on the symbolism entailed in these arms? Presumably the anchors represent the navy. Does the gold embellishment of the inescutcheon hark back to an earlier usage? And does the cross on the principal shield have any specific connotations?
And I note that you say this is a German Army unit — I would have thought the Navy would have wanted to control such an entity.
Regards,
Mike
The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
[Proverbs 14:27]

Marcus Karlsson

Re: Seebataillon of the German Navy

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 16 Sep 2015, 19:02

The Crossed Anchors goes back to the one carried under a Imperial Crown by the three Seebatallione of the Imperial Navy. Below the Anchors was to be seen the Roman Numerals I-III depending on which Battalion the wearer belonged. This was carried on the Shoulder straps. The Kriegsmarine used crossed Anchors on the Shoulder straps for the Schiffsstammabteilungen (Ships Manning Battalions). The Cross I believe represent the Iron Cross.

Sorry for the confusion as I wrote in the Tread Title the Sea Battalion belongs to the Navy not the Army that i wrongfully wrote in the text. Thanks for being observant Mike!

Return to “Military Heraldry”