Vienna Corporate Arms from about 1900.

Heraldry of the German speaking countries
JMcMillan

Re: Vienna Corporate Arms from about 1900.

Postby JMcMillan » 08 Feb 2018, 14:35

Were the guilds still functioning bodies in 1900 Vienna, or are these merely ways of symbolizing the trades for decorative purposes? In other words, was there actually an active society/guild/company of umbrella-makers or whatever at this time?
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 08 Feb 2018, 18:42

Ryan Shuflin wrote:Pretzels are the symbol for bakers in Germany as well. Many bakeries have pretzels on their signs, even if they do not bake them.

A coat of arms without a shield, that is unusual.

Also in Sweden it was common for Bakers/Bakeries to use a Pretzel (in Swedish Kringla) as symbol.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 08 Feb 2018, 18:46

JMcMillan wrote:Were the guilds still functioning bodies in 1900 Vienna, or are these merely ways of symbolizing the trades for decorative purposes? In other words, was there actually an active society/guild/company of umbrella-makers or whatever at this time?

I looked up the Apotecaries and thier organisation at least existed until 1947. But of cause I can't say if this was the case with all the other trades.

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 09 Feb 2018, 11:48

JMcMillan wrote:Were the guilds still functioning bodies in 1900 Vienna, or are these merely ways of symbolizing the trades for decorative purposes? In other words, was there actually an active society/guild/company of umbrella-makers or whatever at this time?

I noticed that some of the arms are attributed to a Gremium(a type of committee), others simply to the profession. This suggests to me, that some represent an actual organization with an office etc. (example:the pharmacist Gremium) whereas others just represent the members of that profession in the Vienna.

My guess is that the various professions donated to the Church, and that's why they have arms there. They are all probably professions where one needs an apprenticeship. I believe that after the guilds were dissolved most of these professions were organized by the Handelskammer or another organization that regulated most of the trades. Only professions requiring extra regulation had their own organization.

So it would be quite easy to organize a gift on behalf of the Bakers of Vienna, even if they did not have their own trade organization.

It should be noted that Konzess. is an abbreviation that means licensed.

Return to “German Heraldry”