Heraldry of the German speaking countries
Ryan Shuflin

Re: Bavaria: Lozengy or Paly?

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 12 Mar 2014, 18:42

I believe this is the picture form Fox-Davies you are tried to post:Image

Also from Fox-Davies:
Barry-Bendy
Paly-Bendy

If you look at the paly-bendy, you will see that it consists of vertical lines parallel to the vertical axis of the shield, that is running straight up and down. However, I looked at several versions of the Bavarian arms, and while I saw many variations, I have yet to run into one where the vertical line is at an angle.

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 13 Mar 2014, 00:44

I should have been clearer. I was simply questioning the fine distinction between lozengy and fusily. I agree that the arms of Bavaria are certainly not simply lozengy, fusilly, or paly-bendy. It seems to me that they could be correctly blazoned as lozengy-bendy, bendy-lozengy, or perhaps lozengy-bendwise. Or, for those who prefer, any of the above with fusilly substituted for lozengy.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

GSelvester

Postby GSelvester » 13 Mar 2014, 02:13

Ryan Shuflin wrote:If you look at the paly-bendy, you will see that it consists of vertical lines parallel to the vertical axis of the shield, that is running straight up and down. However, I looked at several versions of the Bavarian arms, and while I saw many variations, I have yet to run into one where the vertical line is at an angle.

All three images that Joe McMillan posted show the vertical line at an angle.

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 13 Mar 2014, 05:19

GSelvester wrote:
Ryan Shuflin wrote:If you look at the paly-bendy, you will see that it consists of vertical lines parallel to the vertical axis of the shield, that is running straight up and down. However, I looked at several versions of the Bavarian arms, and while I saw many variations, I have yet to run into one where the vertical line is at an angle.

All three images that Joe McMillan posted show the vertical line at an angle.

Exactly, the point I was trying to make. Some author's such as Fox-Davies prefer paly-bendy and barry-bendy over terms like fusilly in bend, but at least in the case of Bavarian arms, they don't seem to be drawn as paly-bendy, but rather as rhombuses on an angle.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 13 Mar 2014, 06:14

Joseph:

There is now a problem with the third of your images. Project Gutenberg doesn't like how you copied it.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 13 Mar 2014, 14:01

Chris Green wrote:Joseph:

There is now a problem with the third of your images. Project Gutenberg doesn't like how you copied it.

I see the same thing, but Ryan seems to have found the same picture from a different online source in his post, so it's not a problem.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Return to “German Heraldry”