Impersonal arms on lozenges

General Heraldry subjects
Arthur Radburn

Impersonal arms on lozenges

Postby Arthur Radburn » 26 Nov 2015, 17:55

In Boutell's Heraldry, Wilfred Scott-Giles and John Brooke-Little commented on a women's college displaying its arms on a lozenge.

"This is an heraldic solecism," they wrote, "for a corporation, whether or not its members are all women, is regarded in heraldry as being masculine and should bear arms on a shield in the ordinary manner."

It's not an isolated case. Other known examples of academic and corporate arms on lozenges include :

England : Bolton School where the boys wear the arms as a shield and the girls wear it as a lozenge;

South Africa : Pretoria High School for Girls (registered at the Bureau of Heraldry in 1990), some other schools (not registered), and a branch of the Girl Guides.

Two questions for the forum :

1 : do members have any other examples of women's organisations or institutions displaying their arms on lozenges?

2 : what do members think of the practice -- is it really "an heraldic solecism" that should be avoided, or not?
Regards
Arthur Radburn

JMcMillan

Re: Impersonal arms on lozenges

Postby JMcMillan » 26 Nov 2015, 18:48

I remember thinking the "solecism" characterization was fairly silly when I first read it 40 years ago in reference to the arms of Girton College, Cambridge. I didn't understand even then how a corporation made up entirely of women could reasonably be described as masculine, and can you imagine the ridicule such a statement would provoke if made today?
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 26 Nov 2015, 20:31

In Aragon several municipalities' arms are on lozenges:

http://amateurheralds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=937&start=20
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 27 Nov 2015, 11:51

JMcMillan wrote:I remember thinking the "solecism" characterization was fairly silly when I first read it 40 years ago in reference to the arms of Girton College, Cambridge. I didn't understand even then how a corporation made up entirely of women could reasonably be described as masculine, and can you imagine the ridicule such a statement would provoke if made today?
Girton is an interesting case. It's been co-ed since 1976, and its website displays the arms on a shield, which would certainly be appropriate post-1976.

When preparing this topic, I tried to find out when it had displayed the arms on a lozenge, but I drew a blank. Scott-Giles mentioned them in an article in 1952 and said nothing about a lozenge, and Briggs' Civic and Corporate Heraldry (1971) shows them on a shield. Nor does the published blazon doesn't mention a lozenge.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Michael F. McCartney

Postby Michael F. McCartney » 27 Nov 2015, 21:49

I agree that the cited "rule" is silly. In any case, the arms are the arms regardless of shield shape, and any such rule deserves to be ignored .
Michael F. McCartney
Fremont, California

Mike_Oettle

Postby Mike_Oettle » 30 Nov 2015, 15:56

Arthur, while the Bureau of Heraldry registered the arms of Pretoria High School for Girls in 1990, it was in fact confirming a registration under the Protection of Names, Uniforms and Badges Act of 1935.
I suspect that the Bureau was more or less obliged to acknowledge the lozenge because of the previous registration.
The fact that Fred Brownell has a personal connection to the school (his daughters were pupils there) might also have something to do with it.
Incidentally my mother and her sister also attended that school, and more recently a niece of mine did also.
The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
[Proverbs 14:27]

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 01 Dec 2015, 13:20

The 1973 edition of Boutell, edited by JPB-L,
shows the Girton arms on a lozenge on the academic heraldry plate, as I recall.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 01 Dec 2015, 19:09

JMcMillan wrote:The 1973 edition of Boutell, edited by JPB-L,
shows the Girton arms on a lozenge on the academic heraldry plate, as I recall.
Yes, that's the only example of those arms on a lozenge that I've found. I wonder if it was copied from the original LPs.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 05 Dec 2015, 10:34

Chris Green wrote:In Aragon several municipalities' arms are on lozenges:

http://amateurheralds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=937&start=20

The same hold true for Catalonia.

Comarca of Priorat, Catalonia.

City of Lleida (Lérida).

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 05 Dec 2015, 12:36

The Kingdom of Aragon and the Principality of Catalonia were of course united by marriage in 1137, so by the time Catalonian arms were being granted they were in fact Aragonese.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Return to “General Heraldry”