A Can of (DNA) Worms?

General Heraldry subjects
Chris Green

Re: A Can of (DNA) Worms?

Postby Chris Green » 27 Nov 2015, 16:56

JMcMillan wrote:I think the newspaper story sensationalizes the queen's role. Turning her formal signature on a document put in front of her by those responsible for dealing with such issues is not taking a deep personal interest in the matter. Succession to peerages is a matter of law, in which the sovereign cannot properly interfere. At least that' s how I understand it.

You are technically correct. HM The Queen would not personally become involved in a legal case, and it does, as I understand it, require her formal approval in the form of her Signature Manual (possibly even the use of the Privy Seal) for a case to be taken to the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council. But I cannot imagine that she does not take a personal interest, as do we.

PS: The Pringle Baronetcy is not of course a peerage. Baronets are hereditary knights.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 27 Nov 2015, 20:08

Absolutely correct re the baronetcy--my fault for reading carelessly.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Michael F. McCartney

Postby Michael F. McCartney » 27 Nov 2015, 22:05

Sounds like a story line for a modern Gilbert & Sullivan musical ;)
Michael F. McCartney
Fremont, California

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 28 Nov 2015, 13:51

Michael F. McCartney wrote:Sounds like a story line for a modern Gilbert & Sullivan musical ;)
Or a Victorian melodrama. The rightful heir cheated of his inheritance ... a usurper occupying the ancestral seat ... baronets in black hats and capes, twirling their moustaches ...

Here are the baronet's arms. At least they're simple and straightforward : Azure, three escallops Or :

Regards
Arthur Radburn

Return to “General Heraldry”