Audley arms query

General Heraldry subjects
Martin Goldstraw
Site Admin

Re: Audley arms query

Postby Martin Goldstraw » 07 Jun 2016, 15:37

I think that we will have to disagree. I return to the "official" blazon of Lowndes which is simply fretty. Whoever decided to turn the blazon into fretty of however many was doing so unnecessarily and being over pedantic. I still maintain that a coat blazoned as Azure fretty Or can be emblazoned with as many frets as the artist desires and it the same coat might be emblazoned with a different number by another artist. It is still the same coat.

It is only when someone comes along and tries to be too accurate (pedantic) with the blazon that we seem to run into difficulties.
Martin Goldstraw
Cheshire Heraldry
http://cheshire-heraldry.org.uk

Ryan Shuflin

Re: Audley arms query

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 29 Jun 2016, 12:16

A field Ermine is considered the same as Argent a semé Ermine spots. When it comes to semé, I believe there is a minimum number of charges. I believe the rule is nine. Which is why a shield with three or six identical charges are never blazoned as semé.

Now a single fret can be a blazon, just as a single bar, bend or riband. Logically the rule applying to charges could apply to frets, I just have one objection: There appears to be no convention of doing so, making it hard to apply the rule retroactively.

Return to “General Heraldry”