Caundle meaning

General Heraldry subjects
Cameron Campbell

Caundle meaning

Postby Cameron Campbell » 14 Jun 2016, 11:53

I was looking over the Fitzwarine portion of my Burke's and noticed one of them married into a family that were associated to a entity called "Caundle Haddon" in Dorset. I looked up the meaning of Caundle, but it wasn't clear on how that landholding(?) applies to modern real estate. If someone here could explain what a "caundle" is, it would be helpful. Thank you.

Chris Green

Re: Caundle meaning

Postby Chris Green » 14 Jun 2016, 12:45

No-one seems to know, if Wiki is anything to go by:

Stourton Caundle is one of several settlements in the area to bear the name "Caundle", the others being Bishop's Caundle, Purse Caundle and Caundle Marsh. The origin of "Caundle" is uncertain. In the Domesday Book in 1086 there are seven Domesday entries connected to the village, recorded as "Candelle", "Candel" or "Candele" in the hundred of Brunsell. The entries record a total of 45 households and a total taxable value of 17 geld units. Sir Henry de Haddon, a lord from Northamptonshire, bought land and founded a manor here in 1202, and the resultant settlement was called "Caundel Haddon" or "Caundle Haddon".[5] The Haddons retained the manor until 1461 when it passed to the Stourton family, which resulted in the current village name.

Here is another quote that may or may not be enlightening:

Although the Caundle Brook shares its name with several small settlements in the area, the derivation of the word ‘Caundle’ remains somewhat obscure. Interestingly, neither Stourton Caundle nor Purse Caundle lies on the Caundle Brook but are some distance to the north-west. One suggestion is that ‘Caundle’ may refer to a line of low hills in the area. A glimpse at the geology map throws a little light on this: both Stourton Caundle and Bishop’s Caundle lie on the outcrop of the Cornbrash, a thin ‘brashy’ (which means ‘loose pieces of rock’) limestone. Both Stalbridge and Henstridge are also built on this dry outcrop, avoiding the damper surrounding claylands, like the two Caundles.

this one from http://www.dorsetlife.co.uk/2007/01/dorsets-little-rivers-the-lydden-and-the-caundle-brook/
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Cameron Campbell

Postby Cameron Campbell » 15 Jun 2016, 08:46

Thank you for your help. You provided, I think, what I was looking for. Caundle seems to be the name of a body of water if I read it correctly.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 15 Jun 2016, 09:01

Cameron Campbell wrote:Thank you for your help. You provided, I think, what I was looking for. Caundle seems to be the name of a body of water if I read it correctly.

A line of low limestone hills seems to be the best bet. Not sure how you came to the conclusion that it was a body of water.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Cameron Campbell

Postby Cameron Campbell » 15 Jun 2016, 21:19

The link in post#2 mentions the Caundle Brook, so I thought it may also have estates along it's course.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 16 Jun 2016, 05:12

Cameron Campbell wrote:The link in post#2 mentions the Caundle Brook, so I thought it may also have estates along it's course.

Yes, but the "body of water" would be the brook. "Caundle" would be the name given to the brook, just as "Thames" is the name given to the river that runs through London.

... neither Stourton Caundle nor Purse Caundle lies on the Caundle Brook but are some distance to the north-west
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Return to “General Heraldry”