Delville Wood

General Heraldry subjects
Arthur Radburn

Delville Wood

Postby Arthur Radburn » 12 Jul 2016, 19:05

South Africa is currently marking the centenary of the Battle of Delville Wood. It is to South Africa what Vimy Ridge is to Canada, and Gallipoli is to Australia and New Zealand, i.e. the major battle of World War I.

The 1st SA Infantry Brigade held the wood against the Kaiser's forces for six days in July 1916. It suffered 76% casualties (2398 dead and wounded out of a strength of 3153). South Africa bought the wood after the war, and dedicated it as a memorial.

Heraldry related to Delville Wood? No doubt many of the men came from armigerous families, but I've been able to identify only two so far. In both cases, they were ancestral arms.

Brig Gen Henry 'Tim' Lukin, GOC 1st SA Infantry Brigade : Argent, a lion rampant Gules debruised by a bend compony Or and Azure. Apparently no crest.

Lt Col Edward Thackeray, OC 3rd SA Infantry Battalion : Vert, two garbs Or, in base an arrow point downwards Argent; on a chief Purpure a cherub's head proper between two estoiles Argent. Crest : An eagle wings elevated proper, charged on the breast with a like cherub's head and holding in the beak an arrow as in the arms.

It was he who led the 755 survivors out of the wood.

Delville Wood is near Longueval in northern France. To add a touch of colour to this post, the arms of Longueval : Barry of six vair and Gules.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Mark Henderson

Re: Delville Wood

Postby Mark Henderson » 13 Jul 2016, 00:00

Interesting post. Thanks for sharing this, Arthur! By the way, I would love to link this to the International Military Heraldry and Flags group on Facebook. Please let me know if you have any objections.
Regards,

Mark Anthony Henderson
IAAH Fellow : Former Design Assistance Request Team Artist

Arthur Radburn

Re: Delville Wood

Postby Arthur Radburn » 13 Jul 2016, 13:50

You're welcome, Mark. No objection to posting a link on the facebook group page.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Return to “General Heraldry”