Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

General Heraldry subjects
Chris Green

Re: Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

Postby Chris Green » 05 May 2017, 18:08

I am a happy owner of the wonderful book: Lines of succession, Heraldry of the royal families of Europe. Jiri Louda & Michael Maclagan, 1991.

Sadly no longer up-dated.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Torsten Laneryd

Postby Torsten Laneryd » 06 May 2017, 08:44

Chris Green wrote:
Sadly no longer up-dated.

Yes you have to up-date yourself from illustrated magazines ;) :)

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 06 May 2017, 11:27

Yes you have to up-date yourself from illustrated magazines.

My wife has (fortunately?) just taken out a new subscription to Svensk Damtidning!
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Torsten Laneryd

Postby Torsten Laneryd » 06 May 2017, 14:10

Chris Green wrote:
My wife has (fortunately?) just taken out a new subscription to Svensk Damtidning!

Lucky you! Here is a piece from Svensk Damtidning on internet two days ago translated into English:

Philip was born on a kitchen table in Corfu. It was June 10, 1921, and the little prince who was born in the Palace of Mon Repos was named Philipps of Greece. My father was Prince Andrew of Greece and mother Princess Alice of Battenberg. The following year, it was a revolution, and his uncle, the king was forced to abdicate. Philips father fled thus from Greece with his family. Prince Philip was only 18 months old, and was carried aboard the flight of the boat in a small provisional cot made of a single orange box. His upbringing was in many ways a turbulent, his parents separated, the mother Alice eventually went to the monastery and father Andrew moved in with his mistress. Philip, in turn, had to accept to move around among relatives and went to school in both France, England, Germany and Scotland.
18 years old, he met for the first time his future wife, Elizabeth, when the father the king visited the Naval College in Dartmouth. She was 13 years old and fell in love with one of the handsome marinkadetten instantly. For him, it does not click. Not right away, anyway. But with time, seven years, more precisely, changed the feelings and in July 1947 they got engaged. A few months later, on November 20 the same year, they were married in Westminster Abbey. In all the years, Philip has been loyal to his wife, he has set up in all weathers, and the vast majority testify that marriage is still very, very happy. It is said that Philip is the one who gets Queen Elizabeth laugh.

Michael F. McCartney

Postby Michael F. McCartney » 06 May 2017, 17:01

Back to the arms - we sometimes see the arms of the Prince of Wales displayed with the arms of that principality en surtout (sp?) and a small shield of the arms of Cornwall adjacent to, but not on, the main shield. Seems to me that the next Duke of Edinburgh could use one of these approaches, neither of which is considered to do violence to the royal arms.
Michael F. McCartney
Fremont, California

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 06 May 2017, 17:45

Michael F. McCartney wrote:Back to the arms - we sometimes see the arms of the Prince of Wales displayed with the arms of that principality en surtout (sp?) and a small shield of the arms of Cornwall adjacent to, but not on, the main shield. Seems to me that the next Duke of Edinburgh could use one of these approaches, neither of which is considered to do violence to the royal arms.

I like the idea, but the Prince of Wales does have a unique connection to Wales, and a different, but also unique, link to Cornwall. The D of Edinburgh was simply called that to give him a dukely title.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Michael F. McCartney

Postby Michael F. McCartney » 07 May 2017, 17:50

Good point; but on the other hand, the future DoE does have a unique personal connection to the current Duke... ;)

In any case, I would hope that the future Duke would use the Scottish version of the royal arms in connection with his Scottish title(s), whether or not he somehow includes his father's arms in his achievement.
Michael F. McCartney
Fremont, California

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 07 May 2017, 19:24

I would hope that the future Duke would use the Scottish version of the royal arms in connection with his Scottish title(s) ...

Both HM The Queen and the Prince of Wales/Duke of Rothesay have Scottish versions of their arms, but I do not recall seeing a Scottish version of the arms of any of the other members of the Royal Family. That is not to say that they do not exist. Perhaps one of our Scottish members can enlighten us.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 07 May 2017, 20:43

The Princess Royal (Princess Anne) has a Scottish version of her arms, as a Lady of the Order of the Thistle :

A banner of her Scottish arms hangs together with her parents' and her brother the Duke of Rothesay (Prince Charles)'s in the Thistle Chapel. The Earl of Strathearn (Prince William) was made a Knight of the Thistle a few years ago, so he probably has the Scottish version of the arms too.

The Queen's younger sons, the Earl of Inverness (Prince Andrew) and the Earl of Wessex (Prince Edward) reportedly have banners of their arms in the Scottish format.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 07 May 2017, 21:22

HRH The Earl of Strathearn KT (a.k.a Prince William) has indeed a Scottish version of his arms which seems to date from his being created a KT:

The logic seems to be that members of the Royal Family have a Scottish version of their arms if they are KTs. If so the new Duke of Edinburgh (a.k.a Prince Edward) would probably have a Scottish version of his arms if and when he is made a KT, but not specifically in connection with his being made Duke of Edinburgh. At present he has no Scottish title.

Having posted the above I have now found a website that sells a Scottish version of Prince Edward's arms:

https://www.aliexpress.com/popular/prince-edward.html
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Return to “General Heraldry”